Edit My Images
Yes
An Olympus Trip shot from today shot on Superia 400:

pay and display
by rednorters, on Flickr

I've become obsessed with these pay and display machines recently :LOL:

C&C welcome as always.
Thanks for looking (y)

Nick, this shot isn't doing much for me, even looking at a bigger version on Flickr, sorry. A bit square on? I wondered if it would work better offset a bit (say cropped at the left hand wall upright)? That said, I'm seeing more in the shot than I did at first; at least 3 subtle leading lines converging on the machine (from a distance). And I do like the texture of those setts in front of the pavement. But the amazing thing about photography is how different images catch peoples' eyes differently.

Nick, I don't think it works on its own but may well do as part of a larger project or collection. It may be worth "collecting" a few more and putting together a slideshow and seeing how that works.

I like it. It looks sad. And i can't help wondering why the wall is bigger behind.

I like it, can't tell you why though. Would be worth pulling together a set though.

I like it as well, nice and simple. Like Steve said a set would be a good idea!

I really like this almost Martin Parr like.

I'd Have wanted to lose the building in the background somehow, especially as it's in much more light than the subject

norters said:
I've become obsessed with these pay and display machines recently :LOL:

You are not entirely alone :)

Pay Here by cybertect, on Flickr

Thank you so much for all the comments on this one. I will address the points after the football when I am on the laptop and not on the app :) Thanks again folks!

Nick, this shot isn't doing much for me, even looking at a bigger version on Flickr, sorry. A bit square on? I wondered if it would work better offset a bit (say cropped at the left hand wall upright)? That said, I'm seeing more in the shot than I did at first; at least 3 subtle leading lines converging on the machine (from a distance). And I do like the texture of those setts in front of the pavement. But the amazing thing about photography is how different images catch peoples' eyes differently.

Thank you for the detailed critique (y) I deliberately composed to try and get the machine dead centre. I tend to try not to crop my images though!

Very Creative Love it ! Its a Image that will divide opinion!

Many thanks (y)

Nick, I don't think it works on its own but may well do as part of a larger project or collection. It may be worth "collecting" a few more and putting together a slideshow and seeing how that works.

That's a good idea. I'm in the middle of another sort of project at the moment but I'm always on the look out for a good parking meter :D

I like it. It looks sad. And i can't help wondering why the wall is bigger behind.

Cheers (y)

I like it, can't tell you why though. Would be worth pulling together a set though.

I think I will be doing just that (y)

I like it as well, nice and simple. Like Steve said a set would be a good idea!

I really like this almost Martin Parr like.

Cheers mate. Martin Parr is a massive inspiration to me so that's a very nice thing to say.

I'd Have wanted to lose the building in the background somehow, especially as it's in much more light than the subject

You are not entirely alone :)

Pay Here by cybertect, on Flickr

You're right about the buildings. Thing is, I saw the composition from over the road and I took what I could! The only thing I dislike about the shot is the fire escape in the top right hand corner :( I suppose I COULD crop but then I would lose the intentional central composition of the subject :(

Again, many thanks for the interest in this image (y)

i like it.

It's an image that rewards closer inspection. I'll be perfectly honest and say that if I hadn't seen everyone else's comments I wouldn't have given it more than a cursory glance. :(

But having spent a few seconds I found that it started to cause me to ask myself questions, like:
  1. Why is there a parking meter where there are no parking restrictions marked on the road?
  2. Why are the first 4 rows of bricks behind the meter a different colour?
  3. What used to be where the meter is to cause such wear on the cobles?
  4. Just how many diagonal lines can I find that run through the meter like some sort of ley lines (5, I think).
  5. Would it look better without the asymetric post by the meter (no I don't think so).
  6. Does it remind me of anyone's work (yes, the typologies of Bernd and Hilla Becher)
If the aim of the picture was to make you think, then it works for me. (y)

It's an image that rewards closer inspection. I'll be perfectly honest and say that if I hadn't seen everyone else's comments I wouldn't have given it more than a cursory glance. :(

But having spent a few seconds I found that it started to cause me to ask myself questions, like:
  1. Why is there a parking meter where there are no parking restrictions marked on the road?
  2. Why are the first 4 rows of bricks behind the meter a different colour?
  3. What used to be where the meter is to cause such wear on the cobles?
  4. Just how many diagonal lines can I find that run through the meter like some sort of ley lines (5, I think).
  5. Would it look better without the asymetric post by the meter (no I don't think so).
  6. Does it remind me of anyone's work (yes, the typologies of Bernd and Hilla Becher)
If the aim of the picture was to make you think, then it works for me. (y)

Thank you so much for the detailed critique (y) I'm glad the my image brought those questions up to you.

I like these deadpan images of street furniture, but maybe I'm not always a people-person?

The red brick gives a nice block of colour and texture which contrasts well with the modern finish of the meter. I wonder though if the pale building above the wall dilutes its intensity? The pavement and roadway is only given a narrow strip when perhaps a greater width of road at the bottom of the photo would have added weight and then dropped the wall down the shot so that it ran off the top edge of the frame. Frint and centre suits the deapan aesthetic, but there's also some interesting off-centre compositions suggested by the scene. Using either the drop in the wall to the left or to the right, but not using both. Using the drop to the left there is quite an aggressive image, using the one to the right a softer one.

It's a simple scene, and it's surpising just how many ways I can see of interpreting it.

I have a contact on Flickr called Michael Goodin, he does similar deadpan street furniture images and his style always allows a good stretch of road/pavement at the bottom. Well worth a look to see the difference it can make.

I like these deadpan images of street furniture, but maybe I'm not always a people-person?

The red brick gives a nice block of colour and texture which contrasts well with the modern finish of the meter. I wonder though if the pale building above the wall dilutes its intensity? The pavement and roadway is only given a narrow strip when perhaps a greater width of road at the bottom of the photo would have added weight and then dropped the wall down the shot so that it ran off the top edge of the frame. Frint and centre suits the deapan aesthetic, but there's also some interesting off-centre compositions suggested by the scene. Using either the drop in the wall to the left or to the right, but not using both. Using the drop to the left there is quite an aggressive image, using the one to the right a softer one.

It's a simple scene, and it's surpising just how many ways I can see of interpreting it.

I have a contact on Flickr called Michael Goodin, he does similar deadpan street furniture images and his style always allows a good stretch of road/pavement at the bottom. Well worth a look to see the difference it can make.

Thank you so much for this. It gives me a lot to go on for my next shot (I have recce'd another shot). I'll have a play with the scan and the crops you have suggested. I now have my X-300 back in full working order with my lovely 28mm Rokkor so I'll look at including more of the pavement and/or road for my next one.

Working my way through the stream of the person you linked, again thank you. Lots of inspiration there (y)

Last edited:
There's a few people on the Never Professional group with the same aesthetic.. Micheal inspired more than one of us on that group to approach composition in a slightly different way. I'm always looking to include a bit more of a foundation at the bottom of images now. It's usually much better than empty sky at the top.

Back