PC concern.

P-E

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if anyone can help but my PC has been acting a little strange of late.

When I sign in here then leave my PC for a while and come back I seem to have been signed out.

This happens elsewhere as well......it's as though someone else is controlling my PC:nut:

Also noticed Norton advising me of backdoor attacks (several a day).

I have ran Spyboot that has reported no nasties on my PC.

Any thoughts anyone?

Run a decent virus checker that is up to date.

SammyC said:
Run a decent virus checker that is up to date.

I have got Norton Anti Virus running Sammy...........all clear with that.

Try a scan from an online Anti Virus - preferably NOT Norton to be doublely sure.

Also, try installing and running Microsoft Defender, another Spyware tool but free and worth the time.

Carl.

I have Windows Defender installed, very good

Try "Spybot search and destroy", "Ad-aware" and finally "Hijack this". Running all three occasionally should ensure that your pc stays clear from most nasties. Obviously have and use a decent anti-virus checker as well...

Try to witness what is happening, alot of people are suggesting viruses but to be honest this could be a physical fault relating to a power problem, its possible the machine is crashing and restarting thus returning you to the login screen.

Also check the obvious, make sure your screen saver isnt set (or been changed) to "On resume, password protect".

Ran Windows Defender and got the following;

No unwanted or harmful software detected.
Your computer is running normally.

So all clear there also ran Spybot with no problems reported.

Strange thing is again I have just come back from having tea and I again was logged out:dizzy: ........was logged in when I went for tea.

Warspite said:
Try to witness what is happening, alot of people are suggesting viruses but to be honest this could be a physical fault relating to a power problem, its possible the machine is crashing and restarting thus returning you to the login screen.

Also check the obvious, make sure your screen saver isnt set (or been changed) to "On resume, password protect".

Doesn't appear to be crashing and I have not changed anything recently.

Again I am gettting back door attacks........:embarasse doesn't quite sound correct that does it.

Warspite............I just had a look in settings for screen saver and indeed it says;

'Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby'

So does that look like the culprit?

What browser are you using and are you closing it at the end when you leave the PC running? IF running FF and you close it there is a setting that can automatically clear all settings so that would log you out...maybe worth checking?

Steve said:
What browser are you using and are you closing it at the end when you leave the PC running? IF running FF and you close it there is a setting that can automatically clear all settings so that would log you out...maybe worth checking?

IE Steve.

P-E said:
Warspite............I just had a look in settings for screen saver and indeed it says;

'Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby'

So does that look like the culprit?

It would explain it, why its changed though I cannot explain.

How long have you allowed before it goes into standby ?

Well I will change that and see how things go.

As ever thanks for the help..........much appreciated.:thumb:

Is there nothing you lot can't sort out;)

Just had a look Warspite and System stanby is set as 'never'

I'am in a muddle now.

On the Screen saver tab it is set to 30 mins but the box for password protection is unticked.

In the Power options>advanced.........the prompt for password when computer resumes from stanby is ticked.

If its set to never that shouldnt be the issue, try and have a look in Event Viewer to see if there are any error messages?

Click run on the Star Menu and type the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

That should open the Event Viewer, it will display three categories:

Aplications (Check here for red circles with white "x"s)
Security (ignore this as its probably not configured)
System (Check here for red circles with white "x"s)

Yes got that mate.

One extra one in there though..........Custom Log Error Records.

Sounds like something has created the custom log, possibly one of your checkers.

Select the Custom log and right click, select properties, then select filter tab - what event sources is it using?

Custom log = ACEEvent log?

I am learning something new here.

Me too:) Not having much experience of ATi video cards, thats what that is logging so it seems to be safe.

What about the other categories?

Under security everything looks ok

Application - Some Errors and warnings.

System - Some Errors and Warnings.

Do any of these occur within the window of time that the machine managed to log itself out?

Also the frequency of the errors, if repeated - do they tally with the incidents of logging out?

I have never noticed any errors apart from this weird logging out business just recently.

Everything else seems fine.

Are the errors and warnings a problem?

The errors and warnings are just that, they are an indicator that something isnt behaving as it should, could be something trying to connect to the internet and failing, or it could be something that didnt close properly, are a faulty driver.

Basically its log of most of the processes that your machine goes through, most will be mundane and work without a hitch, the ones with errors may not be significant, but nonetheless its still noting a problem of some kind.

Applications will usually be your software, System will be Windows functions such as drivers and networking.

P-E said:
Also noticed Norton advising me of backdoor attacks (several a day).

Well if you never got any warnings that someone was trying to get in via your backdoor then how would you know that you had spent good money on a wonderful firewall :thumb:

Disable the logging and disable the alerts and never worry about it again.

Back