PC Help wanted

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
I know there are some computer bods lurking around here ;) so I just want to ask your advice about my pc... (please bear in mind I know absolutely nothing about computers! :bonk:)

My Cd re-writer has sort of died. It stopped writing stuff to cd a while ago, and I get a message saying to check the disc isn't damaged, full, or write protected (or something along those lines) if I try to copy anything to cd. The cd's work fine on the laptop and record with no problem, so I know it's the drive rather than the cd's I'm using (are you still following me? :))

I tried to play an audio cd the other day just to see if it would play, and it skipped and jumped all over the place.

If I get a new Cd re-writer, is there anything in particular I need to look for? Are they easy to fit or is it gonna be tricky and am I better off leaving it someone who knows what they are doing?

My pc is 2 years old..

Many thanks

In my experience CD or DVD roms and writers have a set life after which they kinda die. I say kinda as sometimes they can be repaired but as they are so cheap these days and always getting faster its not worth the bother.

As to fitting - if you can use a screwdriver (and with some cases you may not even need that) you should be able to replace it easily.

A DVD writer (that can also write CDs) can be had for £20 odd plus delivery

Chez, you can get a DVD writer for peanuts now.....which will do CDs aswell. Have a look on EBUYER & read peoples reviews to choose drive for yourself. Should just be a case of load the Software provided , plug in Writer & your off.

This one looks good for under £30 http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/UK/product/97238/rb/18946413317

Remember to only buy a retailed/boxed version , as OEM versions do not have S/W included....thinking of your PC knowledge.

Oh , then download DVDShrink ;)

Have fun.

If only you had posted yesterday I could have sent you a freebie.

Take the plunge, buy a replacement and fit it yourself. It's fairly simple and will be a nice introduction to 'computer building'. There'll be no stopping you after this :D

as easy as pie minimeeze
After getting into PC which is usually just a case of taking the side off pc there will be some screws along the side of existing cd drive, undo them. there will be two cables, a power cable and a ribbon data cable (possibly 3 if you have a cable from sound card) unplug these from old drive insert new drive and re-connect cables. your new drive should have exactly the same sockets as old one.

very easy to fit, and they are cheap as chips now, i got a 16 x DVD writer for £30 the other week, fitted it in minutes.

Agreed - I ran two drives on my old tower system so I could copy from one disk to another without clogging up the 'puta.
Once you realise how bl**dy simple they are, you'll wonder why you ever paid someone else. Programming's another matter, but the mechanics of the hardware build are dead simple.

I can highly recommend these - use them in a few of my PCs and also install them for work.

Linky

As mentioned, very straight forward, just remember exactly how you removed the old drive and install the new one in an identical manner. If you have any problems feel free to PM me when you get one.

(y)

Before taking the plunge & buying/fitting a new one it may be worth giving it a clean . Get a cheap head cleaning CD and follow the simple instructions . If it doesn't help then go the more techie route (y)

I'm having the same probs with my DVD writer.

I spotted one at one of my customers' shops this week that burns and plays DVD + and -, CD's and also has built in multi card reader slots (CF, SD etc etc. £46...I'm having some of that.
If I can find a link to the manufacturers' website I'll post it.

So whats the difference between a DVD+ and DVD- ? Which should I be using?

Always got confused about this.

They are just different formats Sammy, most drives you buy now support both formats so don't worry. I think DVD- is slightly more popular in standalone players so I'd buy DVD- disks.

My dvd drive in the pc will read/write to dvd+/- dvd+/-RW dvd RAM Dual layer blah blah etc.

Well, I took all your welcomed advice, and have just installed my new DVD Rewriter in about 5 mins :) I thought it would be really difficult and technical, but it's a piece of cake. The most fiddly thing was trying to get my hands in so I could plug the cables into the back of the new unit. Just burned a cd in less than 2 mins - I'm well impressed.
Many thanks for all your help & advice guys :D

Well Done, its not so scary once you have the confidence to give it ago:)

Back