PC 'Optimiser' programs??

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Any of you computer experts got any views on these??

I tried a 'online' version on the net, just as a matter of interest, and it came up with nearly 1000 errors:eek: !!

My computer is new, with a fresh download of authentic programes. When everything was installed, aI used a reg editor to remove all the temporary files etc, and then ran MS Checkdisc, so I'm pretty sure that everything was OK.

My computer guy once told me that just let windows run everything, and not interfere. He even told me that strictly speaking, if you have a good anti virus suite, that a firewall wasn't necessary.

In essence, what I'm asking is, do these programs exaggerate errors, just to frighten you into buying, and are they really a neccessity, or a wate of time and money?

id say most of those errors would be programs or scripts running at start up that arnt technically needed at startup, probably very little to worry about. i think as you say these things tell you your computer is ****ed just so you make a purchase on the pretence that your computer will run a million times faster when in reality you probably wont notice a difference

I agree with whitewash, unless your machine is having real problems leave it well alone. If it is having real problems the a re-install of windows is the best cure.

As for a firewall, the main reason I have one is to stop software like realplayer sending info on my pc back and feeding me adverts on crap I don't want.

I've never actually needed, or used one.... I just did this 'online' test as an experiment.

I'm pretty sure in my own mind, that they are a bit of a con, I was just interested in what others think.

Yup, these programs are a complete load of crap. You might find infact what they do is delete a few bits of rubbish on your system and then fill it up with its own crap that it conveniantly (SP?) never finds.

As said, if your pc is running ok, leave it be. The simple key to keeping a computer healthy is to get a good router (with hardware firewall), a good anti virus (one that doesnt hog resources and then not provide any real protection anyway) and be carefull what you download. That's it. My mate here are uni has done just those three things, and had a windows install going for the better part of 5 years iirc.

There are a few other handy bits of software such as registery cleaners etc that can be of some use, but not essential. I found the best way to keep my system fast is to check the startup processes every now and then and make sure that you can recognise or identify all the processes being started. If you dont know what a certain process is, google the process, and see what it is. If its rubbish or something you didnt install, untick it and reboot... Providing it isn't a virus, or something like that, it will never bother you again.

Back