PC Upgrade issue - scanner

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
Hi all. Last week - major problem and poor little PC died on me... for some months I have had the bits to make a new one and over the weekend finally was forced into doing so. Now then, apart from losing all my piccies (yeah, I know - backup... I still have the negatives for the film shots though (y)) it seems that in the changeover from XP SP3 to Windows Ultimate x64 my poor little Veho usb scanner no longer works... I mean yes, it works but all I get is a black image :( Any ideas? Looked all over for new drivers without any luck - am I stuck with having to get a new scanner?

Arthur

PS - yes, this pc runs a 200Gb main drive with a RAID 2x250Gb data drive array for backup... not gonna get caught again!

I had massive problems with a very similar scanner, which ended up being an interaction between a USB hosted TV tuner card and the scanner. The veho scanner is basically treated as a usb webcam, and if the tv tuner card had woken up, the scanner just produced a black screen or occasionally a image reminiscent of static on a un-tuned tv.

didn't find a workaround I'm afraid :(

Update from the UK (no, really) website...

"We would advice to use a new Veho-UK Veho VFS-004 driver for your device what's available"

Have you tried running the software in compatibility mode for XP sp3?

Yes, but the issue is the drivers for the scanner I think, rather than the program that accesses them. Some bloody idjit deceded W7 x64 was best as there is 4Gb RAM in this beastie and therein lies the problem... I don't think the scanner can run in 64-bit mode. I already had to reel in the USB ports to 12Mb or else at 480Mb none of my slow old CF cards worked :LOL:

Hi Arthur,

is it this one ?

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/veho-...e-negative-film-scanner-for-pcmac-p-4986.html

It may be worth contacting digitalpromo and see if you can get an x64 driver disk, but could it be that the usb current output of your new motherboard is low but voltage ok (5v).

ie a lower current output than your old mb.
If so, the lamp inside the scanner may not have enough current to operate,so it scans mechanically, but output black because of lack of illumination.

just a thought.

No, I have the VFS-004, which is lightitng up fine, new mb has 6 usb ports, a firewire and a card reader, should be enough current there and apart from the wireless dongle the scanner's the only thing online. It works fine with number one son's W7 Professional laptop though but again, that's 32-bit :(

Annoying as I just boiled up the film from the Fujicarex (OK, overcooked, but I blame the on-camera metering :D ) and want to scan the negs - looks like more bribes for #1 son ... also looks like I need a new scanner too.

Yup, tried both of those and nothing :( Looks like I am stuck with getting a new one... not that this is so good I want to keep it - but I want a new camera as well!

Arthur

Back