Peak Imaging freepost boxes

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
I found one of the flat packed Peak Imaging freepost boxes today. As I've got a few rolls to send off, does anyone know if they still work or if I now need to pay postage in advance?

To update my own thread - I called them this morning to check, and you need to pay postage. So if anyone finds one of their boxes or labels I'm afraid we've missed the boat!

To update my own thread - I called them this morning to check, and you need to pay postage. So if anyone finds one of their boxes or labels I'm afraid we've missed the boat!
Reminds me of when I found several rolls of process paid Fuji Sensia at the bottom of the fridge, only to find that Fuji had ceased their "free" processing some time previously. Oh well. :(

Ahh. Sorry to have mislead you. I always assumed (there's my mistake!) that if packaging had pre-paid postage, that it would be honoured. After all, how would you know who might have some of the pre-paid packeging and how would you be able to proactively let them know it was no longer useable?

Ahh. Sorry to have mislead you. I always assumed (there's my mistake!) that if packaging had pre-paid postage, that it would be honoured. After all, how would you know who might have some of the pre-paid packeging and how would you be able to proactively let them know it was no longer useable?
No problem! I think the problem is that freepost isn't prepaid, so companies can discontinue it.

Wow that's extremely missleading on their part then as they still send them out to you with every order (including one I had back from them last week). TBH I usually send mine in a jiffy bag anyway and pay for 1st class postage to speed things up. However I still find it strange that they send these things out to customers with no explaination saying you still have to pay. Pretty poor show in my opinion if this is definitely the case.

I sent one off a few weeks ago in a freepost box and don't recall any issues. I do notice that the replacement box had the 'freepost' stuff crossed out. Always found the boxes less than optimal for any thing other than 1-2 120 rollfilms.

Wow that's extremely missleading on their part then as they still send them out to you with every order (including one I had back from them last week). TBH I usually send mine in a jiffy bag anyway and pay for 1st class postage to speed things up. However I still find it strange that they send these things out to customers with no explaination saying you still have to pay. Pretty poor show in my opinion if this is definitely the case.

I think they were pretty upfront about it in my experience. This is what I received when I got my last set of negatives back about a month ago...

20210325_114610.jpg

I think they were pretty upfront about it in my experience. This is what I received when I got my last set of negatives back about a month ago...

View attachment 313178

I didn't receive one of those in my order, nor did the box have the sticker on it, so perhaps just an oversight on their part. I guess you can't blame them for stopping it as part of the service. I will say however they have really it really sorted at the momen in terms of turn around. The last two rolls I sent in on a Monday, were received back by me on the Wednesday, so can't fault them in that aspect. I think they are wise to postpone any price increase though as I think it would have a negative effect (pardon the pun lol). Competition is fierce at the moment and there are already cheaper out there who provide comparable quality. I would certainly look to switch if they increased their prices and others remained the same.

Got the films back this morning - so good turnaround. Disappointingly, one set of MF slide film has about 6 completely dark frames. The others are fine and the rebate frame numbers are also ok, so definitely not a problem with the development. No idea what happened (it's a roll that's been sitting to one side for a couple of years, so can't remember what the circumstances for loading it were..). Others on the roll look good though, so looking forward to scanning them

I have been sending film to peak for a long long time, but wasn't informed about this at the time of my last order.
I've posted a film away last week to them using the freepost address box that I was sent by them, and it hasn't arrived yet, a week to the day.
Has anyone any ideas about what will happen to it? I assume it will still be delivered to them?

I have been sending film to peak for a long long time, but wasn't informed about this at the time of my last order.
I've posted a film away last week to them using the freepost address box that I was sent by them, and it hasn't arrived yet, a week to the day.
Has anyone any ideas about what will happen to it? I assume it will still be delivered to them?
I have occasionally put too little postage on my films sent Filmdev. They usually take about an extra week to arrive, and get charged an extra fee, which used o be £3 or so... which added to my original stamp, was only a little more than the proper small parcel rate. Filmdev would then charge me.

However, some businesses might not be prepared for the extra faff of accepting and paying for such parcels, so YMMV. I would expect Peak to do so, though, they're a good company.

I’d suggest phoning them and asking. Chances are RM may have delivered it. If not, I’d suggest calling RM and asking what happens to packages sent via an expired Freepost address.

Last edited:
I had an eBay purchase recently where the seller thought the jiffy bag would qualify as a large letter, but it clearly wasn't. I got a card through the door telling me that the postage had been underpaid and I would have to login to RM with the card ID and pay the additional postage, and the item would be delivered 2 days later. This all went smoothly and I agreeed with the seller that he would pay the extra postage. I would imagine there would be something similar for the transition period of Peak boxes, but Peak would presumably then charge the customer? I could see where RM might collect a few and charge them once a week, rather than daily, so maybe that's where the film is?

I had an eBay purchase recently where the seller thought the jiffy bag would qualify as a large letter, but it clearly wasn't. I got a card through the door telling me that the postage had been underpaid and I would have to login to RM with the card ID and pay the additional postage, and the item would be delivered 2 days later. This all went smoothly and I agreeed with the seller that he would pay the extra postage. I would imagine there would be something similar for the transition period of Peak boxes, but Peak would presumably then charge the customer? I could see where RM might collect a few and charge them once a week, rather than daily, so maybe that's where the film is?

This sounds logical I'd say. The hope is it is just that, and it'll appear shortly.
Been thinking of moving away from film for a while to full time digital, this might make my decision easier.
Thanks everyone for your input too.

Back