Peli 1510 case

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of one of these for a bit more protection particularly when travelling. Any opinions from anyone who has this case (or anything similar) and where is the best place to buy?

Thanks

I've got one. Keep my kit in a Think Tank Airport Ultralite rucksac in the Peli case. Then can remove case and walk with rucksac. Feels safer in boot or left in a hotel room...

I got mine from www.jitpak.com

Been looking at one to secure in the boot for all my gear. Can leave a few lenses in the car in [relative] safety then.

Expensive but then worth it IMO.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating, I work with these quite a lot, we have over 100 of these in various sizes shapes from the 1430 to the 1780 and all I will say is do not believe the sales hype, we have 17 awaiting return for repair and this happens regularly.

If your the sole user then fine, but keep them away from couriers, as they tend to have to test their claim to indestructability:thumbsdown:. The failure points are the catches, wheels and handles.

As I say if your using them on your own then fine, but please do take the warning not to let them near couriers / others.

A good way of securing them in your car boot is to use a cycle lock, we use the bendable wire type with a fix in the case itself (a bendable wire cable with an eyelet at either end take this around a firm fixing in the vehicle and back into the case where you put the padlock, then secure the case with at least one more padlock preferably two).

HTH (y):wave:

Thanks everyone, Agger you've made some interesting observations there, do you use any of the other makes such as Storm? It is for personal use.

No sorry Mate, were tied into a long term contract with Peli, if your the only one using it then I'm sure it will be fine, but as I'm sure you do anyway treat it with respect and it will look after your kit(y)

Ours get absolutely hammered, and thats why we have failures, however the kit always arrives in one piece, it's only the Peli that suffers:clap: so I suppose they do their intended job, most also make a good if expensive seat, whether in a hide or even a railway station (y)

Thanks everyone, Agger you've made some interesting observations there, do you use any of the other makes such as Storm? It is for personal use.

I've got Peli 1550 with a LowePro OmniTrekker in it. It holds all of my gear (see sig) + more and I have the option of removing the Omni Trekker to reduce weight.

I also use them for work and I can highly recommend them. They are very rugged and also waterproof. I've used them on hilltops in driving rain and they have kept the water out.

Agger> You guys must be hammering them if you are breaking them! :eek:

It reminds me of when I used to design laser scanners a few years ago. I was going to an exhibition with a prototype that we'd spent over a year working on. We were about to board our plane at Heathrow and saw the Peli case we'd checked in go up the luggage belt towards the plane. However, there was a gap between the belt and the cargo door and the peli case dropped about 20ft and hit the deck. You should have seen the look on my boss' face :shake: Needless to say, no damage to the scanner or the Peli case, just a serious scuff mark where it had made contact with the tarmac! :D

Edit> Got mine from http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/. Good service, fast delivery, decent price (cheaper than RS, whom we get them from at work!)

We have over 170 normally, but thats down to 153 at the moment as the latest repair batch were picked up yesterday:shrug:

It's not us, it the couriers, we have to repair them as it causes Health and Safety issues if the handles are jagged and the wheels missing, we move some delicate kit in them, as I said we have had no kit failures so the Peli is doing it's job, all I'm doing is making people aware of the effect of using others to move their kit, I stressed if you are the sole user it will be fine.

FWIW I used them in the military for years, as my personal holdall for photo gear and never had to worry about leaving them outside with my kit in, as long as they were secured to something, the weather never affected them, well they fade in the sun but thats about it(y)

It's the handles, latches / catches and whels that are a problem, (y)we use 1430,1510.1560,1610,1660,1780 and the 0 series, and have failures across the range:thumbsdown: We have ours data tagged and chipped for tracking purposes as well(y)

Agger> You guys must be hammering them if you are breaking them! :eek:

One thing that occurs to me though, is that surely a Peli case screams out "expensive camera gear inside, worth nicking!" to the baggage handlers...?

Not as much as something with Lowepro on it, Peli's can be and usually are quite discreet alongside other luggage(y)

One thing that occurs to me though, is that surely a Peli case screams out "expensive camera gear inside, worth nicking!" to the baggage handlers...?

Not as much as something with Lowepro on it, Peli's can be and usually are quite discreet alongside other luggage(y)

I agree. They are that widely used these days that they are not accosicated with a certain type of equipment like LowePro and Targus are.

The Peli cases have been around for a while and have a great reputation. There are a number of far eastern factories who have tried to move into this market but don’t have the build quality.
However if you want an alternative which offers great protection and build quality try Explorer cases made by a company called GT Line.
Calumet sell them and I think also sell them as an “own brand” label bagged as Calumet equipment.
The cases tend to be deeper for a given size of footprint and have external buttressing to strengthen the shell without encroaching on internal space.
You may find Peli fine for your needs but it’s always good to have an alternative.

got a peli agree with agger self use fine, you will treat with respect, others wont as it is not thier property. it is like the old addage" photographs dont bend" on envelopes. enough said

One suggestion, as an alternative is to use your existing bag and purchase a hard shell suitcase. Stow the bag in that. OK not as rugged as a Pelli but does tend to blend in. I'm with StuartR the Pelli does tend to scream out " Something expensive inside"

Back