Peli cases (or similar)

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm after something LIKE a Peli case but it does not need to be a Peli. Anyone know where I can pick up something considerably cheaper :) I can stick foam in it so the protection will be adequate for what I want but it does not need to protect it against land mines, meteors and earthquakes!! As long as it survives being put in a car every day with the occasional tap here and there it will be ok. Unless of course someone has a tatty Peli

Cheers

Calumet do their own version, have a look at their website.

Indestructible cases are the others that spring to mind but I don't know their pricing.

Explorer cases are a fine alternative to any of the more well-known brands. In fact, I'd say there wasn't much to choose between them.

I think these guys are the official importers but I couldn't say for sure if they were the cheapest. They'd certainly be a good place to start though.

Calumet do their own version, have a look at their website.

Indestructible cases are the others that spring to mind but I don't know their pricing.

Just had a look and they are about Peli territory but they do look as good as the Peli cases!

Have a look at LINK
They're in Manchester and do the Hardigg storm cases (USA). Very similar to Peli but arguably a better latch system on the case. I've got both and to be honest there's not much in it, either would be good.

I seem to remember when I bought the Storm case I got a reasonable discount over the list price. This was virtually automatic on the website, so I didn't have to haggle. It's a while back though.

Explorer cases are a fine alternative to any of the more well-known brands. In fact, I'd say there wasn't much to choose between them.

I think these guys are the official importers but I couldn't say for sure if they were the cheapest. They'd certainly be a good place to start though.

Seriously thanks, not sure which one I need for:

D1x, SB600, AFS 18-55, tamron 55-200

I think they might fit in the 3317 for £65 with foam !!

Have a look at LINK
They're in Manchester and do the Hardigg storm cases (USA). Very similar to Peli but arguably a better latch system on the case. I've got both and to be honest there's not much in it, either would be good.

I seem to remember when I bought the Storm case I got a reasonable discount over the list price. This was virtually automatic on the website, so I didn't have to haggle. It's a while back though.

Oh yes, they are about the same price too. Just need to work out what size case I need now !

Seriously thanks, not sure which one I need for:

D1x, SB600, AFS 18-55, tamron 55-200

I think they might fit in the 3317 for £65 with foam !!
Take each individual item and turn it into a 3D cube that fits around the entire thing. Then plot that out onto some paper (or in your head if your spatial awareness is good) and then you should have a rough idea of what size you need.

Remember to allow for a decent amount of foam padding around each item and to not make the gaps between them too thin or without all the foam being able to join up - you don't want bits coming loose and ruining all your hard work in arranging it!

Did a review of the Storm case a little while ago...may be worth a read..

As stated above, very similar to Peli, but IMHO the latches are a lot easier to open and close especially in cold weather

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=88766

Thanks thats really good. Its a little on the large size although if the smaller ones are also that good it would be a good buy.

This is for my SECOND camera and less expensive lenses so I didn't want to spend too much. It is so that I can take it out in the car every day and not risk breaking it :)

Did a review of the Storm case a little while ago...may be worth a read..

As stated above, very similar to Peli, but IMHO the latches are a lot easier to open and close especially in cold weather

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=88766

I did one many years ago Mark for an astronomy website, great cases, the latch system alone puts them way beyond Peli.

Worth ringing them to see what price they will do them for.

check out jit-pak.co.uk (think that that's right, they were the cheapest peli cases I could find....)

farnell have also got some good looking imitations for £35 each, which I'm seriously tempted to get one or maybe two of...

Back