Pembrokeshire Coast aerial photography

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I recently had the pleasure of flying up the Pembrokeshire coast from Saundersfoot to Fishgaurd,
i've been really looking forward to trying some aerial photography with my first DSLR, I wasn't sure which of my only two lens to choose,75-300 or 18-55 with polarized filter, I opt for the 18-55 as I don't have any filters for the other, but i'm not entirely happy with results,my biggest problem was focus and avoiding glare, however, I really enjoyed the experience offered by Haverfordwest pleasure flights, and would highly recommend them.
Maybe I should get a fixed focus lens for my next flight, what lens would you use for aerial photography? I've not finished uploading some of the better shots (I think), but here's some from the first section. Any advise on improvement would be greatly appreciated. Best regards Barney.:)
Saundersfoot

IMG_5127 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Tenby
IMG_5141 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Tenby
IMG_5151 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Lydstep
IMG_5159 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Manobier
IMG_5170 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

IMG_5171 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's a great experience Byker, you should try it next time your in the area.
I've been trying to fix some shots by reducing highlights and shadow, and sharpening a little.

Freshwater East
IMG_5176 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Barafundle beach and Stackpole quay.
IMG_5182 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
IMG_5188 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Broad haven South and Bosherston lilly ponds
IMG_5191 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
IMG_5196 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

Last edited:
Aerial photography - not as easy as you think it should be. I fly a PA28, which is hopeless for photography because the wing's in the way. Cessnas with the high wing are much better - I see that's what you were in. Did you open the window or shoot through it? The PA28 doesn't have that option. The only decent aerial photos I have are from when someone else has taken me up in a Cessna. Any haze will be really apparent in aerial shots, so it's best to shoot what's close to or nearly below you unless it's really gin clear. Stability can be a problem too (of the aircraft, that is). I'm not a Cessna expert (I hate them!) so I'm not sure if you were in the 2 or 4 seater. The bigger and heavier the aircraft the more stable a camera platform it will be, unless you happen to pick one of those very rare, very still days. Of course the bigger aircraft costs more but it's probably worth it. I use a 18-135mm lens on my Canon 550 as it's my standard lens and I use it for just about everything. I don't have any experience of filters as I don't have any. I let the camera think for itself a lot more than I would usually allow it to - program mode, evaluative metering, all autofocus points live but don't get the strut under one of them. Yes - flying along a picturesque bit of coastline on a nice day - can't beat it, especially if someone else is doing the hard work. I've been to Haverford West a few times - over Exmoor, over the Bristol Channel, over the Gower, Carmarthen, turn left and order up the bacon butties.

Thanks for all the advice Jan, It was the 4 seater 172 I believe, they've also got a few 2 seaters available.
the pilot did ask if I wanted the window open, but I thought it would get to cold,lol.
I really appreciate your help. that's great to have advice from a TP forum pilot.
:ty: :)

Last edited:
do they do night flights? i imagine that would be quite spectacular...also wonder if infrared photos would come out nice...

Hi and thanks for looking Ricky, I don't think they do night pleasure flights tbh, but may be worth calling them to check that, never tried infrared photography either so can't answer that sorry.
St Govans Chapel Bay.
St Govans Chapel by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
IMG_5216 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Freshwater West and the Daugleddau estuary
IMG_5259 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Thorn Island - Daugleddau Estuary - West Angle Bay - Sandy Haven
IMG_5270 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
St Anns Head and most of the Dale peninsula.
IMG_5272 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
St Ann's Head - Pembrokeshire by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

Hi Byker, Hope you enjoyed your visit, I lived down the road in Dale for my first 20yrs, there was a thriving community living at St Anns back then, my friends dad was one of the Lighthouse keepers, As teenagers we used to have parties in the helicopter supply store, that's the little white building closest the heli pad, looking back, I'm amazed none of us fell over tbh, lol. spent many nights up there, sometimes crashing in mates house right next to the new Lighthouse, it gets loud when the fogs out,lol, but you soon get used to that. Did you stay at the old Lighthouse/Coastgaurd station? The houses by the new lighthouse are up for sale now, just wish I could afford.
Thanks for viewing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...boasting-best-sea-views-country-sale--1m.html
ps, If anyone fancies shares let me know.

Last edited:
In the old lighthouse, fog horn went off once. It's divided into two
http://www.coastalcottages.co.uk/cottages/?ref=32854

We've found d coastal cottages great for booking nice places in Pembrokeshire, from cheap beautiful cottages to lighthouses.

I love Dale, I think out of everywhere it's one of my fav palaces.
Got a short break coming up in an old boathouse on the estuary near Fishguard. Heading north this time.

Nice shots! I do quite a bit of infrared aerial photography, the IR cuts through haze pretty well. Here's two images that show it quite well, of the Labrador coastline. The first one is taken with a Pentax K5, the second with an IR converted Sony Nex5N at 665nm. It is however diffiult getting the olours right if that's want you want to do; a lot of times I just convert the IR images to mono or shoot at 830nm, where the images come out mono anyway.

Labrador by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

Labrador infrared by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

Thanks for that link Byker, I didn't realise half those places where available, I'd like to try Strumble head LH, would be great during a storm,
I chose my user name thinking of Strumble Head, and the Sea conditions don't half get Barney! around there.
great to here you like Dale, have you walked to Coastal path, the little woodland by Castle beach was my favourite section.
Hope you enjoy your visit to Fishguard, there's some really nice scenery up there, the Gwaun Valley is well worth a visit.
Well I've finished sorting my aeriel shots now, although far from perfect, I feel they serve a purpose, thing is!
I purposely chose to pactice aerial shots at low tide, to show small boat owners the conditions faced launching at Low Tide,
and areas to avoid during high tide. admitedly my shots get worse the further North I travel,
but I was starting to feel a bit queasy from from looking down the barrel. Excuses! excuses! LOL.
Dale Valley, note! there should be more sand on West Dale beach, washed away during last winter storms.
IMG_5296 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
The Deer Park, Marloes.
IMG_5309 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Solva.
IMG_5412 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Porthclais/ St Davids peninsula.
IMG_5423 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Whitesands.
IMG_5522 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Porthgain.
IMG_5556 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Strumble Lighthouse.
IMG_5607 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
Fishguard.
IMG_5658 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr
And finally here's a little video from Dale.:)

Nice shots! I do quite a bit of infrared aerial photography, the IR cuts through haze pretty well. Here's two images that show it quite well, of the Labrador coastline. The first one is taken with a Pentax K5, the second with an IR converted Sony Nex5N at 665nm. It is however diffiult getting the olours right if that's want you want to do; a lot of times I just convert the IR images to mono or shoot at 830nm, where the images come out mono anyway.

Labrador by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

Labrador infrared by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing Jon, Thank you also for posting these wonderful images, I can see the benefit in IR now, it really has cut through the haze very well, looks a fantastic experience flying the Labrador Coast.:)

Back