Pentacon Six

Name
Tristan
Edit My Images
Yes
pentacon.jpg

Ive decided to have a play with medium format, and got myself an entry level camera, the Pentacon Six. So much to learn though, and deffiently not cheap to dabble in, a decent scanner will be the largest expense (v700).

I love the camera already, soo much character and the build quality is nice having the metal body. I need to learn how to use it, i know this particular camera was prone to overlapping if the film is not loaded properly. Its standard lens is a Carl Zeiss 80mm 2.8 :), i was thinking of getting the 'Norita 66' camera as that came with a f2 lens as standard:eek:, couldnt find one though.

Ta for the links, i understand a overhaul will be needed at some point. Im just hoping i get some use out of it and that it works properly, enough to make up my mind if shooting medium format really is for me.

I bought some rolls of 120 film off the net, got a box of 20 'Portra 400NC' in date for 30 quid, not sure how good a value that is, but will last ages (i hope)..

That's a fine looking camera, kinda reminds me of a Pentax 67 with a wlfinder.
My uncle has an Exacta 66 that also looks similar, all slr's with focal plane shutters.
There's a huge lens range for the Pentacon, Hartblei are still making them for this mount, including the tilt-shift lenses I keep seeing on fleabay.
80mm is pretty much the standard lens for all M/F cameras, a wide would be 50 and below.
There's not much to learn other than "how" to operate it, its just yerr bog standard light v app v shutter method of calculation, if you don't have a metered prism, your gonna need a light meter..:)

As i am new to all this, i have no light meter, but will be used in conjunction with my 5D, would it work to test an image on a 5d and check the histogram and then transfer those settings to the pentacon six and come out properly, or will there need to be other adjustments.

Nope, I used a D70 to meter my first ever 6x6 film, it was 64T slide so there was no room for error, came out perfect..:D
I would say that the settings available on a dslr will not match what is available on the Pentacon, so you might need to do a bit of calculating, but you could say the same about a lightmeter.
You'll soon get fed up of carrying a grands worth of lightmeter about just to shoot the Pentacon though....I did..:LOL:

To add to that, the first time I metered with the D70, I was metering for iso 64 and the D70 didn't meter below iso 200, so a bit of mind grinding went on, it wasn't a straight conversion.

Back