Pentax ME Super - not so super

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Running a film through one of the cameras that I'd been given. New batteries in and up to shot 9 it was going well. Wound on the film as usual and ... the shutter wouldn't budge when I pressed the button down. Tried a few times, tried it on 125X but it doesn't seem to want to respond. Thoughts? Googled the problem and it seems that I'm not the only one this has happened to. No clear response from anyone.

Welcome to the world of older cameras :) I've had the shutter stick open on mine once with a film in it but it seemed to sort itself out after I removed the film. If you are really careful you can rewind the film and leave the leader out so that you can reload it again or you can recover the leader with a piece of old film. That said it's ok to take the bottom plate off with the film in and IIRC that gives you access to the linkage between the winder and the shutter. Just a good old blow-out in there might be the place to start.

Surely not, at least pass it on to someone who might be prepared to fiddle with it
Love the fact that it's SO small and handy but how much would it cost to have it mended? I got a Pentax S1A from London Camera Exchange in superb nick for £70 including a super takumar f2 55mm lens - NO batteries to mess with.

Love the fact that it's SO small and handy but how much would it cost to have it mended? I got a Pentax S1A from London Camera Exchange in superb nick for £70 including a super takumar f2 55mm lens - NO batteries to mess with.
I wasn't suggesting you paid to have it mended but if you are going to bin it could you not just pass it on to someone who might tinker with it?

Definitely don't bin it, that's just daft! It'll be useful to someone as parts at the very least, and at most, as Chris said, someone could fix it if they are so inclined. Landfill literally do no one any good :)

It's the shutter mechanism that needs "oiling". Where can I take it? Harrisons in Sheffield don't do repairs any more. They are selling an ME Super for £100. If I was desperate for one, it might be cheaper to buy rather than have it mended. I don't throw anything away, you never know when it might come in for something. I didn't mean "bin it" in the literal sense.

It's the shutter mechanism that needs "oiling". Where can I take it? Harrisons in Sheffield don't do repairs any more. They are selling an ME Super for £100. If I was desperate for one, it might be cheaper to buy rather than have it mended. I don't throw anything away, you never know when it might come in for something. I didn't mean "bin it" in the literal sense.

(y)(y)

As for repairs and work of that nature, my first port of call is always Miles Whitehead. There's been some talk lately on here of him approaching retirement, possibly even narrowing his filter for what work he takes on (iirc?), but he's absolutely worth making enquiring with in the first instance.

(y)(y)

As for repairs and work of that nature, my first port of call is always Miles Whitehead. There's been some talk lately on here of him approaching retirement, possibly even narrowing his filter for what work he takes on (iirc?), but he's absolutely worth making enquiring with in the first instance.

Miles is reducing his workload after Christmas but not stopping completely yet. I emailed him a week or two back to see if the rumours were true, so it's straight from the horses mouth. :)

I have done two of these repairs a couple of years ago, fairly straightforward. YouTube have at least one 'how to' video, iirc 'fix old cameras' was the channel.

Back