Pentax SP1000

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just been given an Asahi Pentax SP1000, does anyone know if they are any good? The lens is an SMC Takumar 1:2/55 Prime.

I also got some sort of light meter made by Sekonic, it's got lots of dials and numbers on it and is well confusing! Anyone know how to use it?

Pentax Spotmatic 1000
That’s a cool camera if you ask me (and you kinda of did!)
These were advertised as “hold an Ahshi Pentax and feel the difference”
They are very compact for their age and the 55mm is a great lens.
The SP1000 was the better version of the SP500 with a top shutter speed of 1/1000sec, go figure. This was cutting edge in it’s day. The great thing is M42 lenses are really cheap, but pick the right on and they are as good as anything made today, maybe.
The camera has a built in light meter which needs a PX400 battery. These can be hard to find these days. Sometimes the battery cover jams tight as the battery expands in the chamber so you have to use the external light meter.

As for the light meter, there should be an inner dial for ISO. Set this to the film speed.
Point the meter at the subject and see where the needle moves to. Turn the main dial so the indicator meets to the needle.
You find on the rim of the dial a selection of shutter speed and aperture such as 60/8,125/5.6, 250/4 or similar. Pick one and set the camera to this and your ‘photo will be correctly exposed. This assumes an average subject. If there is a lot of sky you will want to stop down a bit on the aperture. A very dark background? Open up a bit.

Hope this helps.

Cool thanks for all the info. I'm interested to see the difference in shots between this film camera and my EOS400. Will need a battery for the internal light meter though and will check out the link. The camera feels really solid in comparison to my digital!

you may now come and join us in the film section . welcome graham .

Back