People with ND Grad filters

Edit My Images
Yes
So you guys that have ND Grad filters, is there any particular one (strength wise) you use more then the others, I am thinking along the lines of 0.3 (1 stop), 0.6 (2 stop) and 0.9 (3 stop)?

What make is your 4 stop grad? Haven't seen them.

Sorry, had a mildly retarded moment there.. been a long day. I have a 1 stop and a 2 stop (ND2 and ND4 so 0.3 and 0.6) Too many names for the same thing. I then have 2 and 3 stop full NDs. Usually use combinations of the lot to cover different situations, but I'm tending to the darker ones.

Of course if you have a 1 and 2 stop grad, then you can stack em to make a 3 stop. Though this obviously has its disadvantages. Someone mentioned on here recently about Cokins having a magenta cast, and I have noticed it, though only when stacking more than one filter (P-series).

Yeah I think I am gonna go for Lee filters for the colour cast reasons. Probably get a 0.6 Grad and a 0.6 and 0.9 sollid ND.

I have the Cokin H250 set of ND Grad filters. At first I was using the darker one most but I realised the effect was too strong and the pictures looked a little unnatural. Now I mostly use the middle one. The lightest one hardly ever comes out of the case.This is the kit.

Oh and I don't see any colour cast (not that I would as my colour vision is not perfect) and no one else has either.

I have used the Cokin P series ND soft grads for the last year. More often than not, it's the 0.6 that I use (2 stop) and I have never stacked them as I use a wide angle holder that only has one slot.

If there is a huge amount of contrast, I may use the three stop and hardly use the one stop as a small amount of recovery can be done in Photoshop although obviously allways better to get it right in camera.

I've had no problems with the filters, but I'm most skilled at breaking the holders and also bending the filter adapters out of shape. I have recently bought a Lee wide angle filter holder and 77mm adaptor, just not got round to buying any filters for it yet.

I have used the Cokin P series ND soft grads for the last year. More often than not, it's the 0.6 that I use (2 stop) and I have never stacked them as I use a wide angle holder that only has one slot.

If there is a huge amount of contrast, I may use the three stop and hardly use the one stop as a small amount of recovery can be done in Photoshop although obviously allways better to get it right in camera.

I've had no problems with the filters, but I'm most skilled at breaking the holders and also bending the filter adapters out of shape. I have recently bought a Lee wide angle filter holder and 77mm adaptor, just not got round to buying any filters for it yet.

Jas, is the Lee holder much better then the cokin?

I think it is, much more solid build. But then it is 2-3 times the price of the Cokin equivalent so you would expect it to be. 77mm adaptor and wide angle holder new are £70 (bought at Focus on Imaging Lee stand).

I am still undecided on whether or not to spend the extra on the holder or get a cokin one!

Jas, were you using the Z Series Cokin holders?

I have only used the Cokin P range to date.

ah ok, think the Z series look a little more professional.

I have only used the Cokin P range to date.

Me too. The problem I have is the way they are labelled on the glass.....P121 etc, .....now what does that mean? needless to say, I didn't keep the packets, so have no idea what I have any more! I just hold them up to the light and see which one I think will work best. :nuts:

I use 0.6 and 0.9 most, rarely use the 0.3 grad

I use the cokin Z seies (after I'd left my Lees somewhere on the Dales)

They are not as robust as Lee filters, easier scratched, but do the job for around half the the price.

Any colour casts Les?

I'll chime in one this one. I used a Cokin .3 and .6 grads (1 and 2 stops respectively) for years with a P series holder. I found the adapters (especially the larger diameter ones) flimsy and easily bent. I also noticed a distinct colour cast with the Cokin filters. I then graduated - forgive the pun - to a Lee holder and adapters. It was like trading up from a Ford Fiesta to a Ferrari in terms of solidity and quality of workmanship. I added a set of Hi-Tech filters to the kit, and all I can say is 'wow!' I wish I had traded up years ago. The Hi-Tech are so much better it was ridiculous. I definitely use the .6 most, but I have noticed no ill effects from stacking the .6 and .3 together. I would never go back to Cokin, though I confess to hearing the sirene call of the Lees, simply because of the optical reputation they have built up. I can certainly vouch for the Lee holder; it is top notch.

I used to use a cokin p filter system up until a month ago when i got fed up of the lack of correct colour reproduction due to the colour cast of there grads. So i have just bouth myself a lee foundation kit along with 1,2 and 3 stop soft grads. The difference in quality is unbelivable. the colours in my cloud formations are amazing, the cokin system just didnt allow for such depth of colour and colour range sue to the cast. I can safely say that i reccommend them to anyone else, and i would never go back to a cokin system, even if they wanted me to use them and pay me to promote there filters.
but at the end of the day i suppose its down to budget, im only a student, and have spent some £2000 in the past month upgrading my kit, and with the new camera and filters theres a whole world of difference. Just get the best you can afford at the end of the day

Back