Petzl Tikka XP

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Am thinking of getting one of these...had a play with one last week and they seem super bright and waterproof...two reasons I'm looking to get one...firstly to wear whilst cycling in the Pyrenees as safety light for the dark avalanche tunnels and also to set up camera stuff ready for sunrise..

Before I take the plunge, does anyone here have one. If so, are they any good? Or please feel welcome to suggest alternatives (y)

Thanks

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/3342540072497

Looks well made but with all these things it's the light it gives you that's important, any chance you could see one working (in the dark) before commiting? £30plus is a lot to pay for a torch.

Btw used it in the peaks, while camping and is very powerful can see a good 20m ahead of you, never tried it biking though, must try it.

I went all out and spent £40 on a black diamond Icon, the best headtorch IMO, 3 watts instead of 1. Very powerfull and comfuy and happily woks in minus 20'c as i found out. great head torch and good battery life

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_BlackDiamondIconHeadlamp_1223_0_23670_1.html

Mmmmm..cheers for the alternative (y)

Looking at the big picture and considering where I'll be riding, in the heat of the Pyrenees, it would block a lot of the vents on my Giro Ionos.

I've tested the XP albeit in a store room and it seems bright enough to see and be seen, not as powerful as the Black Diamond, so I guess the Tikka will be a compromise between practicality and sufficient power.

Will also be more than bright enough to see in the dark, on my way to setting up for a wildlife photo shoot etc.

I think I'll get the XP and I'll then post a review somewhere on this site to give feedback.

Cheers for the thoughts :clap::clap::clap:

I have a Zipka plus. which ever version you go for get the 'plus' one as its got 4 LEDs not 3 and is brighter. its bright and I've used it mountain biking when I got caught out one evening around xmas time, just enough to get me home without going too mental (proper night riding requires dedicated halogen/super-bright led's). the zipka is great cause it's strap rolls away and you can fit the thing in your bag/pocket with ease. the other torches with non-fold-away straps, whilst not massively bulky, might be awkward given the comparison especially if you're halfway up a mountain and want to travel as light as possible.

I also have one, plenty bright enough for the camera aspects you need (no idea on the bike side) and you can even use it a little cretively if you need a little extra light inside buildings etc.

its 'barely' enough for biking i.e. enough to get you home. it is more than sufficient for up a hill with camera tasks

I own one of these and have had it for three years now.

They are fantastic and they last a decent time on a set of batteries. I have subjected it to use in pouring rain and I have never had any issues.

To put the usage into context, I am a scout leader so always outside, be it fine nights, or more often than not in the wet and wind.

take a look at the taktikka xp, basically the same version but it is military issue and comes with a red filter so that it does not affect your natural night vision when you stop using it. You may not require it though and decide to stick with the tikka xp.

In all, a comfortable, durable reliable bit of kit in my mind.

Hope that helps

Rob

Petzel Myos are excellent, I use a three band Myo 3 for trail-running at night.

Any Petzel torch will do you fine really, and the build quality make them worth the money imho.

+1 to what skullfish said, I've had the tikka XP for a few years, very good, light weight etc, then I bought the 2008 Myo XP, it blows the tikka out the water. For the price (about £50) I've neer seen a brighter headtorch with range. If you can stand it being that tad bigger with the battery pack, buy the Myo :)

Edit; Forgot to menton, if you buy the Myo, make sure it's got green buttons with grey body, that marks it out as the new model, with massively better performance than the previous Myo version.

Cheers, will take a look at the 2008 Myo. Haven't yet purchased the Tikka XP. Was going to but bought an advantage timber waterproof ground sheet instead today...

Thanks, Mark

Used to work in Blacks (the outdoor shop) and sold loads and loads of these. Great pieces of kit, more compact than many of its rivals. Robust and certainly worth the money.

Sam,

Funny you should say that.

Thought of Blacks last night, before reading your post. Rang them this morning and asked if they have the Myo (2008 version). They have, but only have a display model, which they claim has never been used. They are reserving it for me, will have a look this afternoon and if its good, will buy tomorrow. Not sure how they know it hasn't been used if its been on a mannequin :cautious:

They are offering 10% discount off the £54.99 price.

Sam,

Funny you should say that.

Thought of Blacks last night, before reading your post. Rang them this morning and asked if they have the Myo (2008 version). They have, but only have a display model, which they claim has never been used. They are reserving it for me, will have a look this afternoon and if its good, will buy tomorrow. Not sure how they know it hasn't been used if its been on a mannequin :cautious:

They are offering 10% discount off the £54.99 price.

Ok, I viewed the Myo 2008 http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductReviews.aspx?StockID=45820. made sure it was this years version and have decided to buy it tomorrow.

The brightness is 85 lumens, where the Tikka XP is approx 40, so for the £13 extra, well worth getting IMHO.

Also fits snugly under my cycling helmet, a little bulky with the rear battery pack but necessary for safety reasons IMHO.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Really helpful. :clap::clap::clap:

i use a petzl tikka plus which i use for working on the rally cars during service in the pitch black, seems to do the job and lasts ages on a set of batteries, although it must be said it does loose alot of light output between full and half power on batteries.

I've got the Petzl Tiikka plus and find it very useful when out camping. It's OK for walking and would be OK for setting up camera at night, or putting your tent up,(y) but I don't find any head torch gives very good light in dark tunnels, when riding your bike.:thumbsdown: We find the strobe light very good for campsite discos however.:LOL::D

I've got the Petzl Tiikka plus and find it very useful when out camping. It's OK for walking and would be OK for setting up camera at night, or putting your tent up,(y) but I don't find any head torch gives very good light in dark tunnels, when riding your bike.:thumbsdown: We find the strobe light very good for campsite discos however.:LOL::D

:LOL:

My cycling jersey has reflective strips around the arm seams at front and rear and in France I'll of course be cycling on the right hand side, so will be to the extreme right hand side of the road, so hopefully out of harms way...

I don't think anything portable will be absolutely ideal. The Myo XP is probably the brightest compact luxeon LED headtorch I can get hold of.

On the ride is done and dusted, I can use it for other things like power cuts, setting up for a camera shoot, walking in an unlit village etc.

Mmmm...that's an idea..painting with light at campsite discos, with long shutter speeds :LOL:

:LOL:

My cycling jersey has reflective strips around the arm seams at front and rear and in France I'll of course be cycling on the right hand side, so will be to the extreme right hand side of the road, so hopefully out of harms way...

I don't think anything portable will be absolutely ideal. The Myo XP is probably the brightest compact luxeon LED headtorch I can get hold of.

On the ride is done and dusted, I can use it for other things like power cuts, setting up for a camera shoot, walking in an unlit village etc.

Mmmm...that's an idea..painting with light at campsite discos, with long shutter speeds :LOL:

Hm, that's an idea - I never thought of that. I always knew it would come in useful one day.(y)

Painting with Petzls, there you go! (y)

I had a chance to try my new Myo Xp last night, outside in the pitch black. Blimey, it's bright! :woot:

Think I got a pretty good deal; the unit itself is absolutely immaculate, complete box, 3 year warranty and full instructions given. Perfect! :woot:

A big thanks again for guiding me with all your thoughts and opinions. Certainly helped in making my decision! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Painting with Petzls, there you go! (y)

I had a chance to try my new Myo Xp last night, outside in the pitch black. Blimey, it's bright! :woot:

Think I got a pretty good deal; the unit itself is absolutely immaculate, complete box, 3 year warranty and full instructions given. Perfect! :woot:

A big thanks again for guiding me with all your thoughts and opinions. Certainly helped in making my decision! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Just an update: went out in the pitch black village lanes this evening, on my bike and cycled at about 20mph. This head torch is sufficiently bright to use it on its own.

I did use it like this just to see whether it'd do the job in the avalanche tunnels and I feel confident enough that it will, used with reflective stripes on a cycling jersey I have.

It's surprisingly bright and illuminates road signs from a good 75/100 metres away (y)

Back