Photo Editing 17" Laptop - Best screen?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
What are you guys using? I'm currently using a Dell Precision 7710 which theoretically should be good, but it has some strange colour management behaviour that is seemingly insurmountable and I'd like to switch to something else that's a bit more pain free in the colour management stakes.

A Dell XPS 17 would seem to fit the bill, but what are they like in practice?

Can I ask if you are sure you need a laptop? For the price of a 17” XPS you can get a future proof/expandable desktop and a larger monitor guaranteed to have better performance than the laptop.

Last edited:
A Dell XPS 17 would seem to fit the bill, but what are they like in practice?
Dell kit can be long lived. My Dell Inspiron 17 is still working, although I've given up on WiFi because of its rather odd chipset. I currently use a LG Gram 17 as my Windows machine. It has an acceptable screen for my needs and weighs only 1.25Kg.

I don't work in a fixed location, a desktop is no use to me. I haven't used one in 15 years at home. Maybe one day when the man cave is built I can have a fixed desk but until then I need a laptop.

Dell kit can be long lived. My Dell Inspiron 17 is still working, although I've given up on WiFi because of its rather odd chipset. I currently use a LG Gram 17 as my Windows machine. It has an acceptable screen for my needs and weighs only 1.25Kg.

Yes I've found Dell kit to be pretty solid. I had an Inspiron 17" before this Precision and it's still going strong, now hooked up to a TV in the lounge for Netflix use. I did see that LG come up as well - what is the screen like on it? I

I did see that LG come up as well - what is the screen like on it?p I
Like I said, it suits me. The problem is that one person's favourite screen is sometimes another person's "yeuch"! :(

Do you edit on it, is it calibrated?
I do my editing on a MacBook 13". I'm not into colour curves and such like, so I'm not the person to ask about that.

Back