Photo editing

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

I was recently the main photographer at my partners brothers 2nd wedding party in Newcastle. The B&G want the pics on cd to print themselves. I am just going through them to now and editing them.

My question is regards to cropping and resizing.....Is it best to stick to a particular size when cropping ie: 10x8 or 7x5 of should I crop as I seem fit for the image???? Should I give them the big files or resize (note I only shot in JPEG).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

I would crop/process as you see fit, and send these on cd. Full size, high quality jpeg's would be best for them printing ;)

That would be up to you. I did my first wedding at the weekend, processed the photos to suit the shot, and passed these onto the bride & groom. I guess if you think certain shots would suit a border then go for it!

Thanks for that!

I suppose every one does it differently, the main thing is that I do not lose the quality in the JPEG

I wouldn't put a boarder round them personally dude.

I always leave the images in the aspect ratio they came from the camera - i.e. 3:2.

Makes printing all the images easier if they are all the same ratio. Give them the full size files.

Also, don't crop, transform. Try this (photoshop) :

ctrl-a to select all the image
ctrl-t to enter transform mode
shift-drag the corners to 'crop' the image how you want
press Enter to accept the transform.

Doing it this way leaves the image at it's original size - whenever you crop to specific size you're dropping the image size most likely. Providing you don't go mad with the transform IQ is retained well.

Using Transform, does this not just change the size rather than crop or am I beein thick?

Transform doesn't change the image size - see example below :

Original image - I want to lose the guy in red on the right - but I don't want to change the aspect ratio of the image, or the pixel size of the image.

original.jpg

Shift-dragging the corners while in transform stretches the image within the same image dimensions.

original.jpg

Is that clearer ?

Duncan

Is there really much advantage to letting Photoshop enlarge the image using the transform tool instead of the software that's doing the printing?

there's not really any advantage where printing is involved, but that's not the reason I use it.

when you're used to using it, it's much quicker than using the crop tool as it's a more intuitive way of working - you can see the changes as you are dragging.

the main advantage for me is that you retain the pixel dimensions of the original image which makes using size dependent actions such as vignettes and watermarking much easier.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to say thanks for the top tip WeddingHack

Back