Photo Printers

Edit My Images
No
I've been asked to do some event photography at a charity ball and I need a printer for the evening.

Is it best to hire or purchase?

Any ideas on the best equipment to get?

Ah , Keith , you were asking about 6x9 paper, so this makes sense now. 6x9 is the favoured size of Event Photographers, precisely becuase they use dye sub printers.

You can hire them out , there are at least 3 sources for this. No doubt some experienced event guys will be on to answer more of your queries.

If you are going to do this kind of work more regaularly , you shoud consider buying. It makes more sense.

There are several brands of dye sub printers on the market - DNP, Mitsubishi, FujiFilm, HiTi, Kodak and Sony.

Event Photography has been discussed many time on TP, including the hire or purchase of equipment , so worth checking the archive.

Last edited:
Yeah don't go hiring from Photomart really dodgy people work there.

Only joking photomart are great when it comes to sorting you out and are highly recomended by myself not that I have any clout.

Like the big gap between the top statement and the lower one John.

Gave me time for CPR! :)

I need a printer for the evening.

Is it best to hire or purchase?

Any ideas on the best equipment to get?

IMO its always best to buy as you never really recover your hiring costs. Unless this is a certain one off then I'd certainly suggest buying. Photomart have a very good range on offer and I'm sure they'd offer you any assistance to base costs of hiring against buying to help you decide.

You just have to be 100% sure you want to go into doing events regularly. However, these are photo printers - so you can use them for so many other purposes.

You just have to be 100% sure you want to go into doing events regularly. However, these are photo printers - so you can use them for so many other purposes.

A door stop for a really big door is another use, a mitsubishi 9550DW in flight case will hold anything open. :)

I find a door wedge just that little more convenient though John! :)

You not using the printer these days?

As a printer that is.

As opposed to a door stop.

So Keith , what do you think, now we have all given you some advice?

Back