Photo printing - border or no border?

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
Looking to print a couple of photos for a friend and was going to go through Loxley as used them before.

When it comes to printing, do people print with a border? I can see the advantages - when putting in to a frame/mount you will not lose any of the photo.

Just wondering what peoples preference was?

The prints are 12x8 and smallest border is 1/4"

For a print on paper - white border, 1/4" wld be fine.

It can often be good to visualise the whole throughput in terms of print area, mount size (if any) and frame (if any). For instance, frames in A sizes might be more readily available, but can be awkward with some print sizes.

Last edited:
FWIW

I print with borders if the intention is to mount and frame.

However, most of the 'test' prints I have made e.g. 6x4 have been borderless as they will never be framed...... displayed on a magnetic whiteboard.

These will end up framed, probably with a mount too - but I am just getting them printed as a surprise.

Loxley seem to be a reasonable price at £2.24 for a 12x8 print.

These will end up framed, probably with a mount too - but I am just getting them printed as a surprise.

Loxley seem to be a reasonable price at £2.24 for a 12x8 print.

Family memory gift (or similar?) ? I would get a print made with longevity in mind. All my framed ones have Giclee printed with inks & papers of known (tested) lifespan. I am unsure of the longevity of "C type" prints.

PS I have latterly used @Tradecanvasprint and TP members get 10% discount.

I tend to print with border but mount it without. Aside from the aesthetic, it's good to have an edge round the print that doesn't get (visible) finger marks on it.

Back