Photo storage when travelling

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
Wasn't really sure where to post this, so forgive me if it's in the wrong forum.

My Daughter is going travelling soon and I've bought her a cheap digi-camera to take alongside her phone.

I don't even know if 'internet cafes' still exist in places like Thailand, but if they do, is it possible to set up some sort of photo dropbox, so that she can upload her pics.

I currently have Flickr account, so I guess she could use that, but it's not ideal. You can do batch uploads, But not sure about downloads - and I wouldn't want to go through them all one at a time.

We also have Amazon Prime which does have photo storage, but I don't really want her logging in to that on public computers.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Last edited:
Another alternative would be to use WeTransfer for her to send the images to you - you can send up to 2Gb, you get a link via email to download them (you have a week to do so, then they're deleted on the free version)

https://wetransfer.com/

Another alternative would be to use WeTransfer for her to send the images to you - you can send up to 2Gb, you get a link via email to download them (you have a week to do so, then they're deleted on the free version)

https://wetransfer.com/

I use WeTransfer all the time - that never occurred to me to use that.

Onedrive, dropbox, google photos, flickr (there are tools for bulk download) will all work.

If you want to go the non-cloud route though, I grabbed a USB Card reader and an external SSD. The Reader has a passthrough USB slot so I plug the SSD into that, put a card in and plug the whole assembly into my phone where I can use the file manager to copy everything from the card to the SSD.

Onedrive, dropbox, google photos, flickr (there are tools for bulk download) will all work.

If you want to go the non-cloud route though, I grabbed a USB Card reader and an external SSD. The Reader has a passthrough USB slot so I plug the SSD into that, put a card in and plug the whole assembly into my phone where I can use the file manager to copy everything from the card to the SSD.

Thanks for that.

She's not decided yet what camera to take. Or indeed if she is going to take a camera. I'm trying to get her to travel a bit lighter and all her mates are now obsessed with either film cameras or early digital cameras.

So she's got a choice of a old Canon Sure Shot 35mm fixed lens film camera - or a Sony CyberShot 5MP thing.

I can't see her taking film and getting it processed TBH.

What I hadn't realised when I picked up the Sony was that it doesn't use standard SD cards. They're proprietary Sony tech.

s-l1600.jpg

As they got discontinued, the biggest one you can get is 1GB. So while I've managed to source a couple, it would be good to for her to be able to photodump whenever she has the chance.

1. to avoid running out of storage
  2. to avoid the potential for losing the camera.

These also (as I've just found out) can't be read by normal card readers. They have to have some MagicGate software. So it will have to be via wire.

Last edited:
Unfortunately if you buy cheap what you get is cheap and usually doesn't last long. Why not treat your daughter to a decent small compact camera made by a well known company.

Unfortunately if you buy cheap what you get is cheap and usually doesn't last long. Why not treat your daughter to a decent small compact camera made by a well known company.
I'd argue Sony is 'fairly' well known...

Given that they're the biggest photo company in the world right now.

1706888260994.png

Certainly those little CyberShots were THE point and shoot camera of the 2000's. No idea how many they sold but everyone I know that had a camera, had one.

Except me - I had a little Pentax Optio 550 which took standard SD cards - but didn't even make the top 16 list.

Last edited:
Just create a new hotmail account just for the purpose of being able to use Onedrive for the trip.
It won`t contain any personal files / info just photos

Apparently the "in-thing" is images from the old compact cameras - my daughter has an old Canon IXUS she uses, despite more modern cameras being available had she wanted (I had to search a bit to get a memory card for it, as it only supports the older styles of SD cards, not the current standards).

Does letting the amazon photos app connect over public wifi concern you? I use it to automatically backup photos in the background...

I think it's a case of having to sit at a PC and log-in to upload pictures from a digital camera. Rather than just iCloud pics from her phone.

Having just (this week) gone through the hassle of someone stealing my wife's phone and spending almost 4k within an hour - plus an attempted bank transfer from her MUM's account, I'm a little dubious about security at the minute.

Last edited:
Apparently the "in-thing" is images from the old compact cameras - my daughter has an old Canon IXUS she uses, despite more modern cameras being available had she wanted (I had to search a bit to get a memory card for it, as it only supports the older styles of SD cards, not the current standards).

^ This.

I also know what you mean about the SD cards, I can't remember the capacity off-hand, but you couldn't expand beyond a certain limit on my Pentax.

On my first long trip with that, I had an adapter that took pictures from an SD card and transferred them to an iPod - back in the days when they could be used as a hard drive.

You couldn't see what was being transferred however - only the number of shots, so I did lose a couple along the way.

I did it that way round as memory was very expensive back then, and this was a cheaper way to do it. I think my original card was a 64MB and only carried around 30 pictures.

Last edited:
kell you didn't say make of camera just that is was cheap in your initial post

Any reason to not simply copy image files to an SSD, rather than to rely upon slower transfer speeds to upload (than to download)? She could do that even at hotel PC's (which the hotels provide so that guests can log in to airlines for check-in) rather than pay for time in internet cafes.

Last edited:
I've never owned a Sony that uses a memory stick either :)

Probably won't help much with the Sony, but when visiting the Philippines, I have not found cloud storage or anything internet connected to be very useful.
I take lots of small cards, change them every day or so and don't keep them with the camera.
I back up as well to a USB drive, but don't re-use the cards. I take an old laptop, and leave it there for family when we come home.
There will be lots of internet cafes and shops, but I wouldn't trust the security at any of them, particularly when you are a visitor (key loggers etc). I'm told that Thailand is far worse then the Philippines for catching visitors out by people who have been there, tourists seem to be a target anywhere though.

Getting a memory stick when there might be impossible, or it might be easy! Surprising what you find!
If she is going to upload, she needs to be able to read the stick, can the camera do that via USB without software (ie seen as an external device to the PC)

Charging batteries in another thing to consider, or replacement battery if needed. Anything that takes AAs has an immediate advantage, as does a charger that runs from a USB cable.

I know you say you are settled on the camera, but I can't help feeling that the cost of an old "more standard" digital camera compared to the cost of the trip is worth considering, and the whole region (you said places like Thailand) has many beautiful places and things and places of interest to make photos really worthwhile.
If it was my kids, I doubt if they would bother using a camera if it were any more involved than using a phone :)

I've never owned a Sony that uses a memory stick either :)

Probably won't help much with the Sony, but when visiting the Philippines, I have not found cloud storage or anything internet connected to be very useful.
I take lots of small cards, change them every day or so and don't keep them with the camera.
I back up as well to a USB drive, but don't re-use the cards. I take an old laptop, and leave it there for family when we come home.
There will be lots of internet cafes and shops, but I wouldn't trust the security at any of them, particularly when you are a visitor (key loggers etc). I'm told that Thailand is far worse then the Philippines for catching visitors out by people who have been there, tourists seem to be a target anywhere though.

Getting a memory stick when there might be impossible, or it might be easy! Surprising what you find!
If she is going to upload, she needs to be able to read the stick, can the camera do that via USB without software (ie seen as an external device to the PC)

Charging batteries in another thing to consider, or replacement battery if needed. Anything that takes AAs has an immediate advantage, as does a charger that runs from a USB cable.

I know you say you are settled on the camera, but I can't help feeling that the cost of an old "more standard" digital camera compared to the cost of the trip is worth considering, and the whole region (you said places like Thailand) has many beautiful places and things and places of interest to make photos really worthwhile.
If it was my kids, I doubt if they would bother using a camera if it were any more involved than using a phone :)
Thanks.

I think a lot of that is good advice.

Camera came with a 256mb card and I’ve got hold of of a couple of 1Gb ones.

Have advised my daughter to switch cards daily and keep the cards separate from the camera So if she loses it or it’s stolen, she’ll get to keep some.

No idea if she’ll actually end up taking it.

We’ll see.

Back