Photobooks? vanity publishing or a useful tool?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
There is no doubt that on demand, single copy book printing has revolusionized the way we are able to present our work. We're never going to get rich through it and at base level it is vanity publishing, but at a reasonable cost and very scceptable standard. If nothing else a photobook is a nice keepsake for the photographer or a lovely present for friends and family. It can also be a very cost effective tool for promoting your work. Want to get your work in front of a prospective client? No problem, just send them a photobook. As well as examples of your work it also gives an impression of your eye for design, presentation skills and attention to detail. When used in this way a photobook has the potential to earn you far more than you'll ever make from actual sales of it.

I've just published my first one through Blurb and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised and very pleased with the quality. It's entitled The Light Fantastic and anyone who is interested can view it here.

I love photobooks as a way of 'printing' and collecting my photographs. It depends on what purpose the photobook as to where I get it printed to be honest. I have used 'dscolourlabs' for printing and books with great results. But my favourite photobooks have been from 'bobs books'. Don't know how to add a URL on my iPhone but if you search bobs books you will find the website.

To the OP - I like the look of your book and haven't used blurb myself so it was interesting having a mooch around. Even on my phone!

You make vanity publishing sound like a bad thing but I don't see printing a photo book for one's self any more vain than getting a print or canvas made.

You make vanity publishing sound like a bad thing but I don't see printing a photo book for one's self any more vain than getting a print or canvas made.

Kev, I didn't mean it to come over like that, I should have worded it better!

The point is that vanity publishing has traditionally been looked down upon but these days it's just another medium on which to output your work, no different from making a print as you say. Think how much it would have cost to self publish a book twenty years ago, but the digital revolution has changed all that. Plus, there is a chance of making modest 3rd party sales and the book can be a useful marketing tool into the bargain. At the very least you get a nicely presented personal record of your best work, so photbooks have value at all levels. I marvel at what technology has achieved and I'm all for photobooks. I shall cetainly do another at some point.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought them a bad thing. :)

I first got into photography from flicking through a couple of phorobooks from a local (well Dolgellau) photographer. It's like a mini exhibition you don't have to leave your house for.

In the Railway world, photo books are fairly common and printed as per proper book runs.

John,

Your book looks very good indeed. I would wish to achieve something as professional but thats many years away. Well done!

Andy(y)

With the volume of pictures we take nowadays you'd run out of wall pretty fast and let's face it we don't want to get laptops etc out every time we want to show someone a picture.
That's what I love about photobooks, pictures you can pick up and look at that are arranged how you want them to be and also are bigger than the usual 7x5 on the wall.

Yes, when you look at the creative options they give you for presenting your work photobooks start to look extraordinary good value. Even just using it like an album for convenient storage they work out at less than 35p per picture and I am impressed at the quality.

Thanks for looking at my book, Andy. :)

Your book really is excellent John. Very pleased to see that Essex landscapes feature large, and hold their own very well against the big hitters amongst the classic locations. You even have a shot of the same split-in-two tree in Hatfield Forest that I photographed myself on New Year's day!

Thanks, Toby. You must live in roughly the same part of Essex as me - I live just outside Dunmow. The scenic potential around here isn't always immediately obvious but when you dig a little deeper there are some great opportunities. I love Hatfield Forest and that split tree is very distinctive. I wonder how many times it's been photographed?

I passed through Takely this afternoon and although I didn't have much time to spare I did stop at the forest for a quick stroll. No photos as such, just nice to be there. :)

Back