Photobox...good or bad ???

• Thread starter paul cull-pearce
  • Start date
P

paul cull-pearce

Hi Guys,

Anybody uses Photobox ?
Also want are the quailty of the prints like ?

Thanks,

Paul

No probs here Paul. And service is second to none. I uploaded a few A4 photos one night at 10:10pm and at 10:47 i received an email to say theyd been dispatched!!
Obviously there is no post at that time of night...but just goes to show! (y)

I've bought loads, excellent, always fast service and have never let me down!

However, I'm starting to look at more pro labs like loxleys, peak and colab as alternatives.

Carl.

They're excellent. I've had almost £700 of prints off them in the last 3-4 months. I've twice had quality control issues but they've been resolved within 24 hours. Both involved reprints, no questions asked.

I have used them for panoramic prints, and intend on using them again. God quality prints and great delivery.

I've used them a few times, got a couple of A2 prints and loads of 6x4s.

No complaints, ultra fast delivery.

Same here, super fast, well packaged, cheap and very good quality. Recently took advantage of bulk ordering and an offer to get 70 12x8s for £1.08 each - a dozen of which now line my office wall at work!

No problems here either. I've had numerous prints, several photobooks, and one of their new "Style Books" and everyone who's seen them has said how impressed they are. I've sent three friends the link to the site and two of them have already signed up and used them on the strength of the stuff of mine they've seen! (y)

The Style books - by the way - are superb. Heartily recommended!

Good results for me aswell. Service was fast, next day delivery if I recall, and quality was spot on.

I have only used them for standard sized prints - never tried them for enlargements or books - yet!

(y)

I got a couple of calendars done for family the other week for xmas presents, 2 day turnaround, fantastic quality considering some of the photos I used weren't all that great.

I've had prints from 6x4 to 30x20 done and they have al been superb. The only time I had a problem was with some framed prints , the frames had bad joints and there was dust under the glass. However when I complained there was a replacement set with me the next day

I've had loads done by photobox and echo everybody elses comments although I've read more andmore comments about photobox quality reducing as their popularity is increasing. The only thing for me is that their prints come out quite dark compared to my monitor. Photobox don't provide a printing profile and say that they strip out any profile you attach to the file like a monitor one for example before they print.

I also use foto.com. Their turnaround is a few days slower, being in belguim and all but their print quality equals photobox and since attaching a monitor profile to my prints I've noticed a real improvement in the lightness of the prints so they are now much closer to my monitor. And for most print sizes they are actually cheaper than photobox so it just depends on how quickly you need the prints in your hand really.

I've had loads done by photobox and echo everybody elses comments although I've read more andmore comments about photobox quality reducing as their popularity is increasing. The only thing for me is that their prints come out quite dark compared to my monitor. Photobox don't provide a printing profile and say that they strip out any profile you attach to the file like a monitor one for example before they print.

I also use foto.com. Their turnaround is a few days slower, being in belguim and all but their print quality equals photobox and since attaching a monitor profile to my prints I've noticed a real improvement in the lightness of the prints so they are now much closer to my monitor.

funny you mention this i had some prints done a couple of months ago,(first ones from PB) and thought they seemed dark, i never actually complained as i thought it could be my monitor, i'm expecting another few hopefully today so will let you know what there like, as i've lightened these ones in PS just to see if it will make any difference.

kev (or anyone else out there) could you please tell me how do you attach a monitor profile to your prints, as i've never heard of it, thanks in advance.

UPDATE !

just got some more prints through the post, two 10x8 which i'm happy with and ten 7x5 they are doing a free offer on, these are a bit better than the first lot i got but still slighty darker than i would like, but as the 7x5 are freebies i won't ask for reprints, may try somewhere else next time, anyone got any idea's ??

I've spent a couple of hundred quid with Photobox this year (some personal photos, couple of wedding shoots and three photobooks) and there's been nothing I've had cause to complain about.

use them, would again. good enough isn't it? like-wise with others, any problems have been resolved very quickly, a professional service indeed.
worth a look at dlab7, cheaper - not as quick maybe but quality is very good too. not quite as many options as photobox when ordering - cropping etc - but all the sizes are there.

What version of PS are you using? I can't remeber exactly where the setting is but if you put colour management into the help box it will tell you in there somewhere. I selected full colour management which uses the profile set for my monitor from the calibrator. Then when I save there is a tick box next to a profile just beneath where the name and file type dialogue boxes are. Tick that and your profile is attached. If you don't have full management selected you might have partial which offers an sRGB profile to attach instead but I don't bother with that. In CS or CS2 it may be possible to pick from several profiles which one you save it with but in PSE3 it allows you one (either sRGB or you monitor profile) or saving with none.

Once you've got it sorted give foto.com a try and see what you think.
HTH
Kev

What version of PS are you using? I can't remeber exactly where the setting is but if you put colour management into the help box it will tell you in there somewhere. I selected full colour management which uses the profile set for my monitor from the calibrator. Then when I save there is a tick box next to a profile just beneath where the name and file type dialogue boxes are. Tick that and your profile is attached. If you don't have full management selected you might have partial which offers an sRGB profile to attach instead but I don't bother with that. In CS or CS2 it may be possible to pick from several profiles which one you save it with but in PSE3 it allows you one (either sRGB or you monitor profile) or saving with none.

Once you've got it sorted give foto.com a try and see what you think.
HTH
Kev

ok thanks kev, i will give it a try for next time, i have CS2 and elements 4, i guess i can try both (y)

Just to add my newbie 2 cents, I have had 7X5's, 8X12's, 20X30's, Panos and even several of their photo books and was very pleased with the turn around and the quality. I even had a few extra prints thrown in on the large ones as the said they had run some 'Control' prints and sent them to me for free.

Also, you can set up what they call a pro gallery where you can add a markup to prints if you want to consider selling them!!

Also 2, you can send a link to somebody and they can choose their own pictures to print and have them sent direct. Pretty cool really!

(no I dont work for photobox!!)

Photobox brilliant for snaps. Delivery within hours! If you buy 600 print credits in advance this month you get 6x4's for 3p!! (y)

Tip, buy your print credits first, seperate from anythiong else and get an extra 50mb storage, then go back an order your prints for another 50mb storage.

I found that the quality is fine 90% of the time but if you have a special image I recommend multi-print (now some company as Colab). They will colour correct foc.

Andrew
:exit:

How did you get a pro gallery crispypie? Thought you had to have a turnover in excess of £100,000 or something like that.

I have to say I have nothing to compare PhotoBox to as I have only used them so far and never had cause for complaint ... superfast delivery and excellent quality of prints too ... (y)

And of course they provide the storage facility that allows very easy sharing of as many galleries as your storage permits ... I've got far too much spare storage at the moment and will probably never use it all as they keep topping me up with another 50mb ... :eek:

A service I wouldn't hesitate to recommend ... ;)

:p

I've used PhotoBox for about 3 years (they were originally the online printing arm of Internet Cameras Direct if I recall correctly, before changing to PhotoBox) and they've never given me any cause to complain or reason to consider using anybody else yet. I've used them so often that I've lost track of the online space they've given me - it's up in the Gbs, though.

I mainly print 7x5s and if I upload by 4pm they have never yet failed to deliver the prints back the next morning. I've also had enlargements and photobooks printed. These take a few days to arrive but again have always been spot on.

I also like being able to order items to be sent to a different delivery address. It makes it easy to have stuff delivered to work and avoid the postman being unable to cram the package through my letterbox at home, or ordering stuff for friends and having it delivered directly to them. You can put a message on the delivery note so they know what it is and who from.

Back