Photographer makes £40000 from a single photo

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the story we’ve all been waiting for :LOL: This lady snapped a shot of the royals last Christmas Day and it was so popular it’s made her £40k. It’s nice to see a positive story for once rather than being ripped off for the use of photographs :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46435016

Wasn’t there a thread on this last year? Didn’t she nearly give it to the papers for free until a few people on Twitter told her it was worth something and to sell it instead?

Great that they have benefitted from an opportunist moment.

This can be the value of photography, especially for an image that was syndicated around the world.
I once took some photos of a pop star in Barbados that ended up being syndicated around the world although the agency that bought them insisted on a NDA.
Wasn't quite that big but still was a very nice payout, for images with value that some people give away.

i think you will find most of the monies can be attributed to the fact...lady in crowd..took it .....and the story behind that.. had a pro taken exactly the same pic it would have been used (it is a good pic) but they wouldnt have made as much money because there isnt a back story

i think you will find most of the monies can be attributed to the fact...lady in crowd..took it .....and the story behind that.. had a pro taken exactly the same pic it would have been used (it is a good pic) but they wouldnt have made as much money because there isnt a back story
It’s probably part of the attraction to the media that it was taken on a phone so it has that “you could do this and get rich” hook. The BBC story says she posted it on social media and was referred by a pro photographer to his agent. The lesson there possibly is that both the latter made money off it without having taken the photo themselves, so the hook for the story here on TP is that “you could do that too” by spotting commercial amateur pics ;)

There is still loads of money to be made in photography and from syndication, and you really are an idiot of the highest order if you give your images away.

I was working with someone recently, who drew the unlucky straw when working at a celeb event and got put one of the places you'd not want to be. Except that it actually turned out to be really lucky and he got some photos no one else had.

When we were in the green room later he got multiple offers in minutes, all wanting to use the images unpaid. All the junior photographers there were saying 'go for it' you'll be in this paper, that paper, this magazine, that magazine. Loads of publicity. We both laughed told them they were fools.

Instead he put a minimum price on his images and within an hour was 10K richer.

In contrast at another event I was working inside with some celebs, one of my images was picked up by a daily and I was offered £500.00, reasonable money. I was happy with that. 20 minute later they had cancelled the usage because someone else had offered them an image for free. I later saw that image, it was crap, uncredited, as most images are and only used because it was free.

And you still want to argue that working for free is a good idea?

This could well be very true. It was picked up quite quickly by news outlets and she was at first gaving it away for free until some other photographers pointed out it was worth something. The was some Twitter frenzy too. There is also the part where it broke normal royal protocol with the hand holding etc, and wasn’t it the first Christmas that Meghan was with them plus it the four of them together knowing they were away from the pro photographer areas. It all makes a nice story and an unusual photo of them.

The independent wrote a bit about it last year;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....arry-william-kate-middleton-a8128866.html?amp

Back