Photographers locked out of football matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony, You are quite justified in your view as giving images away is the biggest killer of the industry !

I explained why I put it.. I cant believe your getting so upset.. it wasnt aimed at you or any other photogrpaher.. it was aimed at a large company that stomped on little guys by giving free pictures away... but hey what the heck i will edit and remove myself rather than see you get so upset about it :)

We are a large company who therefore also provide a large number of photographers, both contract and staff, with jobs.

I am not going to comment too much on the ins and out of the new DataCo rules but I think people should look at who hasn't signed it. This is not about money; this is about ensuring the freedom of the press.

Gerard if you know the detail then put it up for all to read !

It all apears to be cloak and dagger at the moment

Gerard if you know the detail then put it up for all to read !

My company, along with other international agencies and news sources, are in talks as we speak. I therefore can not make any comments in more detail.

We are a large company who therefore also provide a large number of photographers, both contract and staff, with jobs.

while stomping on freelancers... nice.
I am not going to comment too much on the ins and out of the new DataCo rules but I think people should look at who hasn't signed it. This is not about money; this is about ensuring the freedom of the press.

neither am i because i havent a clue whats going on

Again.. my comment wasnt aimed at you or any photogrpaher.. it was aimed at the business model of a large company giving free pictures away and harming freelancers...

You lot are editing quicker than I can type to say why I didn't delete that message! :LOL:

My company, along with other international agencies and news sources, are in talks as we speak. I therefore can not make any comments in more detail.

Can we clarify something.. and this isnt meant to be sarcastic.. i really and truly not sure... Are you a getty photogrpaher or do you own getty or what? your talking like its your company..sorry if wrong end of stick..

while stomping on freelancers... nice.

We employ 1000s of freelancers so whilst I feel for the impact this has on you, it's not fair to say we are stomping on freelancers as a blanket rule. However, this is getting away from the point of the thread so I won't say any more.

Can we clarify something.. and this isnt meant to be sarcastic.. i really and truly not sure... Are you a getty photogrpaher or do you own getty or what? your talking like its your company..sorry if wrong end of stick..

I work for Getty Images and I think it's fairly accepted when you work for a company, particularly one you are proud of, you sometimes refer it to in the possessive sense.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't own Getty Images!

We employ 1000s of freelancers so whilst I feel for the impact this has on you, it's not fair to say we are stomping on freelancers as a blanket rule. .

Well you killed a part of my business..

But whats done is done and I have moved forward.. it was a passing off the cuff thing.. I really and honestly didnt think anyone would take it personally or get so upset... believe that or dont believe it.. it was aimed at a large company.. not any photogrpahers.

I work for Getty Images and I think it's fairly accepted when you work for a company, particularly one you are proud of, you sometimes refer it to in the possessive sense.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't own Getty Images!

right.. your a very loyal and proud worker then.. i was starting to wonder :) but honstly.. i didnt think in a million years anyone would be upset by such a small thing ..i dont post to upset...

virtual handshake gerard ?

beer.gif

I think you should all check the byline of the photographs being handed out for free and maybe redirect your vitriol elsewhere.

can we please stop knocking getty about weather they did or didnt let people have pix for free, there is'nt any body who is trying to sell images who at some time has lost a sale or client. you will always find somebody who will do a job cheaper that you or your company in what ever line of work or trade you are in. What we what to know [and inkiboo could be in a postion to post when its sortted] Is
When can kippax and others start sending to the sundays and dailys again.
PS i have no connection with getty

can we please stop knocking getty about weather they did or didnt let people have pix for free

there is no did or didnt.. the fa made a statement that getty would be supplying free images.

BUT I agree lets stop :) it should never have got down to a personal level with photogrpahers.. the beef if with getty not with photogrpahers.

If i didnt like the price of beans in asda i wouldnt blame the checkout girl...

there is no did or didnt.. the fa made a statement that getty would be supplying free images.

The FA made no such statement. Please look at the byline:

"The FA via Getty Images"

They are the FA's photos who have decided to provide them, via Getty Images, for free.

It's exactly the same as the FA employing KIPAX, paying for your time, and then telling you to distribute for free the photos you took.

Please can you stop spreading lies.

Let's not turn this into a "us and them" thread please about who likes Getty and who doesn't

Some people think they're great, some people don't

Some people think digital is great, some people don't

Some people like marmite, some people don't

People are allowed to have opinions about companies and not everyone in this world likes the same thing so please get back on topic and accept that not everyone has the same opinion as everyone else

Otherwise I'm closing it

Then close the thread because I will not stand by while people pedal lies.

This is not about who likes Getty Images and who doesn't; it's about KIPAX spreading lies about the company I work for.

You've made your point that you are not happy, very clearly.

Now get back on topic, please

I have read this trolled the net and still am at a loss to understand what the proposed new rules are

Any chance of a link to where we can peruse them and then make a valid contribution to the debate,just glad that they are unlikely to impinge on the West Midlands league where I live

With respect Kelly, I haven't made any point at all. I am merely stating the facts.

I'm not arguing with you. You have stated how you feel then for want of a better phrase

There's some football pictures in the Sports Sharing, maybe have a little look at them and give some critique and have a breather from this thread

From The Telegraph article, hopefully it may shed a little light on what all the fuss is about

The dispute centres on how we and other media groups can cover matches, in particular what and when we can report on the internet and digital platforms in terms of live-blogging and interaction with fans during games, and what restrictions there should be on the syndication of content, both photographs and text.

While both sides accept that the previous deal needs updating, the NPA is determined to safeguard the free reporting of matches and editorial freedom. The leagues want to protect clubs’ ability to benefit commercially from live matches.

Tell you what, I think this thread is better closed.

FA / Getty giving images away for free it's a splitting of hairs over who is responsible.
If it's solely the FA's doing, then it's their fault.
If Getty are giving the FA's images away for free, affecting freelance photographers, they they are also jointly responsible for the detriment the decision causes.
As it seems to me, the FA giving their images away through Getty, and Getty allowing it...They both have a hand in the situation.

End of thread to stop this petty squabbling.

Now go and sit in the naughty corner and think about your behaviour until you can play nicely. No sweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back