Photographic subjects and inspiration

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
How do you decide what you are gonna shoot and where does your inspiration come from? Do you get up in a morning and think 'I'll shoot landscapes' etc today, or just wander round aimlessly and see what you come upon?

Just interested as I'm itching to get out with my camera but don't seem to have any inspiration or ideas just lately :noshake:

I like landscapes and am always on the lookout for suitable subjects while on my travels and when online too. These usually take some planning but do get you in the mood and the right frame of mind by the time you arrive and are ready to shoot. I also get inspiration from the fortnightly themes and competitions that are run here, as well as simple things like my better half bringing home flowers.

I see anything as potential subject matter but have become quite demanding and disciplined with what I actually do shoot. I have very much got into the quality rather than quantity state of mind recently. :)

don't seem to have any inspiration or ideas just lately

I thnk we all suffer from snappers block at some time or another. I seem to recall I had it for about 10 years once.:whistle2: :D

I know I can be extremely mercinary too and sometimes have little interest in getting behind a camera unless someone is paying for it.

It can be very inspiring to go out on a shoot with someone else as enthusiasm is very contagious. It might only take one great shot to get the fires buring bright again and it doesn't have to be one of your own either. Just something you see that gets the right part of the brain ticking over again.

Ha! Yes.
No cameras though this week. In with Nikon for a dust and brush-up. Next week off to Denmark for 2 weeks, but I'll be free-ish after the 6th April.

So...when you leaving the fair town of Aldershot? I'll be off as soon as the house sells - so I'll still be here in 2029 in all probability...

Usually see potential shots when driving around...then realise I don't have camera with me ;). Alternatively looking at some of the pro's shots, try to think of how/where to shoot something similar.

DJW said:
looking at some of the pro's shots, try to think of how/where to shoot something similar.
i do something similar when i'm stuck for ideas. i have loads of portfolios bookmarked and a folder on my computer where i have saved images i really really like, ive got a couple of hundred in there now after a few years. i open the folder and flick through until i find something that insipres me.

either that or i look back over old competitions on other forums and use the title to get me thinking.

Since retirement I have taken to annoying management by taking a camera with me - some days nothing others as Wednesday by the river whilst she was shopping gave me pleasure in the taking as well as after in front of the screen. The competitions make one think outside ones usual subjects as well as seeing what gets posted here.

Usually a bottle of wine and see where the moment takes me! Not so much during the day though!

If you're itching to get your camera out then do just that, get up and go, see where you end up and then take some photo's. If you're waiting for inspiration to strike then if you're anything like me you'll just sit around and fester. Beside, if you come back with a load of rubbish, at least you'll have had some practise. You never know, you might come back with some gems.

One of the problems I have, is that I live in a beautiful georgian city, but cause I see it everyday I'm a bit blind to the potential around me. It's hard to look with new eyes at something that's omnipresent. I suspect it's the same with aldershot for you. But having said that, I've been to aldershot a couple of times and it is pretty minging. ;) I used to parakart on the big bit of grass there (queens parade ground maybe?)

Sorry, I'm rambling. The point is. Get out and shoot something. Anything. Or stay in, drink booze and play at studios!

Ref living in beautiful area, same here with being in Cotswolds countryside..... must take more notice of it ;)

I love landscapes, and flowers so I find this time of year when the surroundings are yet to burst with beautiful fresh greens and vibrant spring flowers a bit difficult when it comes to inspiration. Actually is it me or is the old 'bursting into spring' thing late this year 'cause there seems to be no sign of leaves on the trees and things like the daffs are only just starting to make an appearance?

As Im new to it all, Im finding I see possible shots in all sorts of places & objects.
I feel Im looking at the world through new eyes & I see things differently now, so Im finding inspiration in even the most mundane & everyday objects ... its getting the image out of the camera thats my problem, lol!

inspiration i'snt the problem, time is at the moment. theres lots of ideas just not enough time i'm afraid :hissyfit:

Back