Photographing boxing

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve been asked to go to a boxing training session this evening. It’s in a boxing gym so lighting probably won’t be the best. I have a Nikon D500 and a good selection of lenses.
17-55mm F2.8
70-200mm F2.8
105mm F2.8
35mm F1.8
50mm F1.8

Not sure where would be best to position myself for some ring sparring shots.
Should I try to get elevated above the ropes and shoot from a distance?
Should I be at ring floor level and shoot upwards?
Should I try and get up close and personal with one of the short primes?
I won’t have a flash so probably need to be around 1000ss or more, auto ISO?
Will a really wide open aperture work with such a shallow DOF?

Last edited:
The photographers at ringside for the UFC and boxing tend to shoot upwards through the ropes mostly, using mid range tele lenses, like a 70-200 2.8. Of course they're not allowed to stand at the ropes during rounds but you'd see them jump up to get shots in between. Being as you will be shooting a sparring session you may have more leeway, they've asked you to do it so you can discuss beforehand where you're allowed shoot from. I reckon they'll say 'wherever you think best' so move about, you'll get a feel for it quick enough - also use vids like the one above for extra tips

Unless it's a very bright gym you will be shooting at high ISO, as you will want to keep your shutter speeds up to freeze the action. The D500 should be just fine with those fast lenses, I would just stick to the 2 zoom, covers all. I've shot music gigs with a D90 and just a 17-50 2.8, the settings will be similar I imagine

Last edited:
The photographers at ringside for the UFC and boxing tend to shoot upwards through the ropes mostly, using mid range tele lenses, like a 70-200 2.8. Of course they're not allowed to stand at the ropes during rounds but you'd see them jump up to get shots in between. Being as you will be shooting a sparring session you may have more leeway, they've asked you to do it so you can discuss beforehand where you're allowed shoot from. I reckon they'll say 'wherever you think best' so move about, you'll get a feel for it quick enough - also use vids like the one above for extra tips

Unless it's a very bright gym you will be shooting at high ISO, as you will want to keep your shutter speeds up to freeze the action. The D500 should be just fine with those fast lenses, I would just stick to the 2 zoom, covers all. I've shot music gigs with a D90 and just a 17-50 2.8, the settings will be similar I imagine

To add to this, if you are stayed put in one spot, make sure you are wearing a long sleeve top, as if your elbows are on the canvas they will get sore quickly!!!

In the past I have used a 24-70 and 70-200 for when they are on the other side of the ring. Boxing venues are messy, so try and watch your backgrounds.

Hammer the shutter, because you don't know when the punch is coming! After breaks when boxers have water sprayed on their faces, the first punch back is usually the best with the water coming off the face. Look out for blood too, claret always looks good.

Back