Photographing in museums

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Over the last couple of months, I’ve got into visiting museums, however, as everything is behind glass I’m forever trying to not get reflections in it. I’ve been reading up on cpl filters and that they can help to remove the reflections in glass. Does it work and is it a worthwhile investment? Sorry, I should also have said that my main day-to-day camera is an iPhone 15 pro.

Thanks in advance

Jack

Hi all

Over the last couple of months, I’ve got into visiting museums, however, as everything is behind glass I’m forever trying to not get reflections in it. I’ve been reading up on cpl filters and that they can help to remove the reflections in glass. Does it work and is it a worthwhile investment? Sorry, I should also have said that my main day-to-day camera is an iPhone 15 pro.

Thanks in advance

Jack
You may want to take a look here, to understand how some museums may react to your taking pictures of their collections....

Why? Surely if they don't want it they will tell you.
Visited a number with my camera(s) and been made most welcome.

I think it's tripods that museums have an issue with, incase somebody trips over it. We have to sign a waiver here in Scotland to use a tripod in a museum, so the photographer would be laible for any injuries caused, if it came to it.

A case of health and safety gone a little mad.

Last edited:
I think it's tripods that museums have an issue with, incase somebody trips over it. We have to sign a waver here in Scotland to use a tripod in a museum, so the photographer would be laible for any injuries caused, if it came to it.

A case of health and safety gone a little mad.
It's time we had a new health and safety law making it a criminal offence to "make up" rules that dont exist. I had a hotel once tell me we needed high vis to photograph the bride and groom outside the hotel on the terrace, when I pointed out their staff also needed them as well then they backed down. Twits!

It's time we had a new health and safety law making it a criminal offence to "make up" rules that dont exist. I had a hotel once tell me we needed high vis to photograph the bride and groom outside the hotel on the terrace, when I pointed out their staff also needed them as well then they backed down. Twits!

I don't think the OP will have any problem with a hand held I-Phone, thousands of pictures are taken within museums on a daily basis with them, I would think.

I'm not sure if there actually is a polariser that is made specifically for phones.

Edit :- I Googled 'I Phone Polariser' and they are available but not cheap.

Last edited:
Why not?

While many museums don't care, some have diffent opinions. The idea that we shouldn't mention such things in a discussion, seems strange to me.

I don't think the op will have any problem with a hand held I-Phone, thousands of pictures are taken within museums on a daily basis with them, I would think.

I'm not sure if there actually is a polariser that is made specifically for phones.
amazon Apparently there is.... I suppose I shouldnt be supprised, but I am. :)

Our local museum's photography policy is HERE. The only restriction is of some exhibitions which may be copyrighted. Even tripod use appears to be allowed as long as you're not causing anyone a problem.

If a museum is ‘reactive’ rather than ‘proactive’ to things they don’t want, that shouldn’t be the o/p’s issue.
I don't understand what you're trying to get across here.

It seems that you're annoyed because I provided some (hopefully useful) additional information, Is that the case?

I don't understand what you're trying to get across here.

It seems that you're annoyed because I provided some (hopefully useful) additional information, Is that the case?

Ok, I can see where this is going.

I'm not trying to stifle discussion and I do think it would make an interesting one but probably not in a thread where the main discussion is about I-Phone polarisers. It's not helping the OP in any way.

Here's a novelty, why not start a seperate thread in the appropriate forum?

Over to you.

:police:

Last edited:
Ok, I can see where this is going.
I have no particular desire to take it any further - especially as I'm still not sure what the problem was.

Personally, given that flash photography does seem to be a no-no in many/most museums, I would avoid using a filter that is likely to lose around a stop of what light is available and would go for the rubber hood thingy to press against the glass.

Home Bargains does duster sized microfibre glass cleaning cloths for 50p each. They work really well on glass.

Reactions: Nod
Home Bargains does duster sized microfibre glass cleaning cloths for 50p each. They work really well on glass.
Thanks for the heads up re: such dusters....not for glass but general dusting (of the PC and other gear in the study (man cave) :) )

PS used to able to get handheld magic duster disposable type but now they all need a handle to use and cost way more per 'cloth' than the originals :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up re: such dusters....not for glass but general dusting (of the PC and other gear in the study (man cave) :) )

PS used to able to get handheld magic duster disposable type but now they all need a handle to use and cost way more per 'cloth' than the originals :(
The ones like are are the green shiny ones.

Museums, galleries, stately (and other) homes - their policies are unpredictable. The easiest thing to do is ask. Sometimes there's a blanket policy which may be nation-wide & rigidly enforced - in other cases you can either talk your way in, or there's no apparent policing anyway. Play it by ear.

Just don't assume that you have the right to do what you want. You're on somebody else's turf. But yeah - if you've paid to go in it can seem a bit of an insult.

Cadw (the historic buildings body in Wales) are a lot more welcoming than the England-based NT. Perhaps a product of Wales being a smaller nation, on a more human scale?

How any organisation could police phone pictures is beyond my imagination. Which tends to make the whole thing ridiculous.

I think that the idea of flash degrading precious artworks was discredited some years ago? But tripods being a cause of others tripping is plausible, especially if the place is busy. Also it may hint at professionalism, and possible unlicensed revenue.

Out on the hills, there are no restrictions ... :)

Flashes are also an unwelcome distraction to many (myself included.)

Love photographing in museums and galleries - was challenged once in the British Museum, but he just wanted to know what I was up to and was fine with. I'm less interested in photographing the collections, rather the people in the museums. There's always security around, they will soon approach if there is a problem..
DSCF5422-Edit.jpg

DSCF2680.jpg

DSCF3835.jpg

DSCF4780.jpg

L1000699.jpg

DSCF3471.jpg

I had a problem in a museum in Crete when they stopped me taking photographs. I pointed out that nearly everybody else was taking photographs with their phones. It was explained to me that the other people 'were not using proper cameras':D

Back