Photographing waterfalls

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
hi
I never do any landscape stuff but Im off to the Peak District for a few days and the owner says there is some good waterfalls nearby. I know some dont like the milky effect but I like to try different things so thought Id have a go. I have the Nikon 16-85 & D7100 but dont have any filters. Any advice on what to get thats not to pricey because when I get home I probably wont use it again.

ta

Depending on the time of day and amount of light getting in to the falls (tree cover etc) you may be able to get away without filters, ISO 100 ( or 50 if you have it) and f16 can sometimes give you enough for milky water. It will also depend on how much water there is in the falls.

Otherwise if you're really working on a tight budget welding glass works I understand although you'll probably need to go black and white as the colour casts can be strong and uneven so not easy to WB out.

Plus one on Mark's comments. If you go for any filter at all then go for a polariser. It's the only filter effect that you cannot replicate in photoshop and has the additional desireable affect of reducing the amount of light entering the camera and therefore stretching the exposure time.

Most of the waterfall locations in the Peak District only work on a dull day. If the weather is good and you don't have an ND filter then head to either Padley Gorge or Wyming Brook in the evening. The trees will deliver the required amount of shade.

Last edited:
I would have a check at a local used camera store for filters, often I'v found even if they don't have them on display there will be a box lying around somewhere and are only looking for a pound or two per filter.

Surprised and pleased to see the advice given here.

I was expecting "oh get such and such a brand of 10 stop ND filter" . I'm glad to agree with chris and mark that you don't really need a heavy ND filter for waterfalls. As long as you have cloudy conditions a polariser will probably be all you need. As well as cutting exposure by 1 - 2 stops (depending on make) this filter will also cut out reflections from wet rocks and vegetation. Exposure times of about 1/2 second should give a very nice milky water effect. You'll need to use f16 and this will give you a good depth of field.

The cloudy conditions would also prevent extremes of contrast that you would otherwise often get at waterfalls within woodland.

Back