Photography at Duxford Airshow

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I will be attending the Duxford Air show at the end of September, but this will be my first Air show as a photographer and my first Air show since the late 70's so have a couple of questions for those that have attended Duxford shows in the past.

I know it gets very busy at Duxford so what's the best time to arrive, I understand gates open at 8.30, should I be there earlier to get a place at or near the flight line.

Regarding the flight line is there anywhere better than others for photography,

I am ok (I think) with my gear and settings so just need some advice on when and were to get there.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Hi Paul,

Would recommend getting there fairly early, aim to be there before 10 ish although expect the front to be chocka with chairs before then (earlier is better, plus you get more time to have a looks around the museum and stalls, and flightline walk (you can get closer to the aircraft on the grass that will be taking part in the display to get some static pictures)... Your call! I'll be there before 7 but I'm working :D ). M11 end is better for photography now the tank bank is closed, so I'd recommend setting up shop there. Light is better past about 4pm, but it's not horrific unlike what you might read elsewhere (UKAR).

Classic wings will be flying all morning doing pleasure flights so you will have ample opportunity to practice panning should you want to get your eye in!

Harry

What are the options like outside the airfield? Went last year and the road over the M11 was completely closed it seemed to pedestrians as opposed to just vehicles. I went into one of the fields off the main road and walked to close to the edge of the M11. In the past have stood just inside the field directly opposite the airfield (had the delight of the Lanc fly right over my head there!) and that is my preferred spot. How has security and fences been this year?

What are the options like outside the airfield? Went last year and the road over the M11 was completely closed it seemed to pedestrians as opposed to just vehicles. I went into one of the fields off the main road and walked to close to the edge of the M11. In the past have stood just inside the field directly opposite the airfield (had the delight of the Lanc fly right over my head there!) and that is my preferred spot. How has security and fences been this year?
It's gonna be closed this time as well for pedestrians and vehicles. Farmers are already putting up notices to keep off the fields. I'd expect regular police patrols. All due to CAA regulations getting stricter.

Was a good day out....the light was a bit dull to start with but by the end of the show was great...

I need a longer lens - did the whole show on the kit 18-135!

The 'Miss helen' P51....it landed the 'wrong' way....was it forced into early retirement??...I caught a shot as she landed - looks like she broke the tailplane:

(cropped)
mustang.jpg

Last edited:
Will be off there today, hoping I can get into a field for some great lighting!

Back