Photos from National Railway Museum and Barrow Hill Open Day (5 pics)

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, this is my first post and the forum comes recommended by my wife who's very in to all the critique and exoperimantation side of things

yzrubx.jpg

yzrubw.jpg

yzru9s.jpg

yzru9b.jpg

yzru9i.jpg

My railway photos can be found at www.trainpics.net feel free to pop along and leave any links/comments too

Matt Wilson

How the hell did you manage #2 and keep the reflection correct thats amazing

Excellent photos, I've always meant to go to Barrow Hill, but never got round to it. Like the 56 - only seems like the other year they were ploughing along the tracks round here with MGR's to the steelworks.

How the hell did you manage #2 and keep the reflection correct thats amazing
For the purpose of cutting out sufficient light for a 20 second exposure I used an ND8 and a polarising filter, so the polariser was set up to reduce the reflection. It felt very strange to set the camera off on a sequence and watch it rotate away from me on the turntable. The anticipation was killing me to see the final image.

I reckon they're great shots - sharp and the colours are strong. I love trains as a subject especially in a natural setting i.e. not in a museum so No 1 doesn't interest me.

number to is amazing, you should right a how to ;), i would love you try it

Well in response to the 'how to' request, it was quite simple looking back. the most important equipment as is always the way with experimental shots was a bit of confidence. This is far easier to come by now that you're not wasting a shot or two off a roll. I asked the museum staff at York if it would be OK to set the tripod to run around the turntable on it's own whilst the demonstration was carried out. They started off with a talk, so i set the camera up on my tripod. I selected the cameras multiple timed exposure mode. I set it to capture 6 frames after the standard 10 second countdown. This meant the camera could happily take several shots whilst riding the turntable. My camera is a Canon EOS 450D to which I attached my Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lens, set at 12mm to fill the frame with the loco on the turntable. I added my mounting ring for Cokins superb P-series filters and slid my brand new linear polariser in and my ND8 to allow me a longer exposure for the blur. The camera was set manually to ISO100, 30sec f/22 and this was the best exposure of the 5 it actually got to take before returning to me.

I must say it is very surreal watching your camera and tripod take off around a 360 degree trip away from you, but at least the ride was smooth (for the photo) and it didn't fall over either. I was quite nervous about when the turntable stopped suddenly. Thnaks also to my Velbon CX640 for providing the suitable stability.

So there you have it, nice and simple! Oh, the last thing was that of course, I travelled 3 hours to get to York, and I only had the one revolution of the turntable to get this right. Always good when things work out for you.

Love the whole set but the Dukedog on the turntable at the NRM is great,how did you get to stand on the turntable as it was moving I would have though Health and Safety would hve thrown a wobbly

Love the whole set but the Dukedog on the turntable at the NRM is great
It's actually an LNWR Precedent 2-4-0, not a Dukedog

how did you get to stand on the turntable as it was moving I would have though Health and Safety would hve thrown a wobbly
In my post a couple above yours I explained how I took it, and that fact that I wasn't allowed on to the turntable, but my camera was.

It's actually an LNWR Precedent 2-4-0, not a Dukedog

In my post a couple above yours I explained how I took it, and that fact that I wasn't allowed on to the turntable, but my camera was.

Thanks for the clarification and the correction,must try that out as I will be at the NMR in October

Back