Photos of the desolate Rover factory, and national newspaper photo theft...

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=208

A site about Urban Exploration, I found this last week, and plum forgot to post the link over here. (sorry :) )

Originally the photos were posted up as a result of an 'Urban Exploration' to the Rover Factory in Birmingham, after the Chinese owners have been shipping the lot out to China, lock stock et al.

Anyway, it's become quite a popular link over the internet in the past 7 days or so, and a journalist working for The Telegraph got wind of it, and wrote an article, and just basically stole the images from the website and used them in the article. No credit, no permission.... :nono:

Looking at the article now, it seems that there is credit on the images, and the pictures on the forum, have now been watermarked. Probably as a result of threatened legal action etc etc, and stern words along the lines of "Oi! What's your game?"..

I suppose this only serves to reinforce the argument of watermarking even websized images.

So this is a double pronged thread.

Discuss away :)

Regards

Spooky shots there sure enough. What a cracking location for a variety of shoots...

Unfortunately not the first time I have heard of the popular press doing this, I've heard of numerous occurences of storys being plagiarized. Usually gets rectified pretty quick (although of course by then damamge is done and credit is lost:(). Also of course I wonder how many writers, photographers, etc never find out about their work being stolen and so never get any benefit from their work.

Most common sites I know have been victims of this would be TheRegister and TheInquirer , they both had stories stolen by the press.

Bit suspicous of the images. Many of them could've been taken anywhere at any time, I mean, a pallet truck in an empty warehouse? a stack of 'apparent' car parts against a skyline? As for the production line pics, these could've been shot by any employee at a quiet point in the day.

Sorry. Urban myth as far as i'm concerned. Sounds far too much like somebody was TRYING to grab the attention of the press and make some moolah.

Apologies to everyone involved if I'm wrong but I would imagine the security around that place is tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm with all the publicity that has gone on about the closure, disgruntled employees etc.

I'm not sure, this is what these people do...the Urban Exploration part of it, it's not as if it's just anyone off the street who has said "look at these photos I got".

Not sure if they've made some moolah, but their stance on their images being nicked has changed (by how I read it on the thread this morning). They have decided it's a good thing that their images are being used, rather than focusing on the point that they have been nicked.

Besides, there have been many people recognising the areas in the photos, pointing out where in the Longbridge plant they were taken, etc.

Personally I'm not sceptical at all :) But hey, horses for courses and all that :)

Back