Photoshop advice

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Whats the easiest way in photoshop to bring out the blue colour of this Broad Bodied Chaser
I remember it being a really vivid blue but I've not got the exposure right but using digital exp comp in DPP makes the background too dark
Pete
_MG_8960malebroadbodiedchaser-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/lcpete/_MG_8960malebroadbodiedchaser.jpg

Not sure on the photoshop question, however you will need to resize your image to 800 pixels on the longest edge or the mods may delete it!!

Thanks Gary I've uploaded it again
Thanks Kerioak will try the "selective colour"
Pete

I had a go based on the Broad Bodied Chasers i've seen before.
I don't think it's all that far off their real colour. Just a bit over-exposed and flat looking.

I duplicated the layer in photoshop, used the eraser tool to make a hole in the top layer over the dragonfly's tail.
Then i boosted the saturation of the layer underneath quite a bit. Then used photoshops exposure tool to pull back some of the over-exposed highlights.
Then i sharpened a little for a bit more impact

_MG_8960malebroadbodiedchaser-1-edi.jpg

Hi Whats the easiest way in photoshop to bring out the blue colour of this Broad Bodied Chaser
I remember it being a really vivid blue but I've not got the exposure right but using digital exp comp in DPP makes the background too dark
Pete
_MG_8960malebroadbodiedchaser-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/lcpete/_MG_8960malebroadbodiedchaser.jpg

In the dodge and burn tools is a saturation tool for wiping on where the want the saturation higher. start at about 3% and work up to how strong you like it. Make sure saturation is selected in the top tool bar though... not destaturate!

I'd personally be careful of using anything too close to dodging & burning as they are part of the "destructive" toolset imo.

I'd probably:
1. Duplicate the layer, place it over your image & set it to "multiply"
2. Apply a "hide all" layer mask.
3. Select the abdomen area - as the tone is very similar in this case I would use the magic wand at a low tolerance & then go to the "select" menu & click on "similar" this will also select pixels that share a closeness to your original selection & also the tiny areas of blue reflection in the wings (picky picky :LOL:)
4. Fill the selection with white (make sure that the mask is selected & not the layer itself) to reveal the multiply layer.
5. Selective colour if this has not boosted the colours enough.

A bit of a long winded way to do it but works wonders for awkward exposures like wedding dresses, etc. as it just uses the image information already present in your photograph & because it's a mask it can be re-edited at any point too :)

Edit: Here we go - tis quite similar to Werecows version though (y)

MG_8960malebroadbodiedchaser.jpg

Thanks very much Janice Werecow and Moomike for your help.
I,m still learning on the photoshop stuff, what you guys have done to my origanal has made a big improvement :) I will try out myself now will keep me busy :LOL:
Pete

Here we are
thanks everyone learnt a lot today :)
_MG_8960malebroadbodiedchasersat1mu.jpg

Back