Photoshop cs2, Pencil drawing?

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
I am trying to get my head around CS2, but finding it qi=uite hard, I would like to turn a portrait photo into a pencil drawing, is it a long drawn out process,is this possible, and how..

Many thank you's

Here is a well know procedure ;)

1) If your photo is in color, convert to BW using your favorite method. Actually, de-saturing is good enough for this.
2) Duplicate the background layer

3) Do an Image>Adustments>Invert and change the blending mode to Color Dodge

4) Apply a Gaussian Blur, using a radius of about 5

5) My original was a bit faint, so I did two passes of Image>Apply Image. You can do this as many times as necessary to get more detail

6) When you're satisfied, you can do a Merge Visible to create a duplicate layer with all your changes. Then use the Erase Tool carefully to remove any stray lines you don't want.

Gary.
First view looks as if this is what i want, quite a task for some one like me,its another one of those situations when i should have purchased a graphics tablet, maybe on my birthday list.

Thanks for the help..

Here is a well know procedure ;)

1) If your photo is in color, convert to BW using your favorite method. Actually, de-saturing is good enough for this.
2) Duplicate the background layer

3) Do an Image>Adustments>Invert and change the blending mode to Color Dodge

4) Apply a Gaussian Blur, using a radius of about 5

5) My original was a bit faint, so I did two passes of Image>Apply Image. You can do this as many times as necessary to get more detail

6) When you're satisfied, you can do a Merge Visible to create a duplicate layer with all your changes. Then use the Erase Tool carefully to remove any stray lines you don't want.

Thanks for the help Alby, looks a little easier, i will try this first and later maybe try Gary's suggestion.

Best wishes and regards.

Gary.
First view looks as if this is what i want, quite a task for some one like me,its another one of those situations when i should have purchased a graphics tablet, maybe on my birthday list.

Thanks for the help..

There are loads of other methods, that's one of the better ones I've seen in terms of results. Do a google search for "Photoshop pencil tutorial" and you'll find lots.

Good luck!

There are loads of other methods, that's one of the better ones I've seen in terms of results. Do a google search for "Photoshop pencil tutorial" and you'll find lots.

Good luck!

Thanks for the addition, i don't know why i did'nt think of google. I think i will need the good luck
regards

Back