Photoshop + dog Photo = Puzzle

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
so i had to walk the dog all last week and i took my camera. managed to get her to sit still for a split second while i took this and thought i would try something completely new to me.

what do you think?

5033739573_290ca40126_b.jpg

first time posting images on here so dont be to harsh haha :p

Lee

Knowing that you have created it from a photograph and, assuming you didn't get it printed onto a puzzle, partly complete the puzzle and then photograph it, I think it's very clever. (y)

But as a picture to someone not knowing the background history, it's just a photograph of an incomplete jigsaw puzzle.

That said, I really like the photo of the dog. (y)

Hi Lee,

I like this on several different levels (y)

The original picture looks like a cracker with stunning colours and the backlighting picking out details on the grasses and dog really nicely, and the dog not under-exposed as a result.

I reckon it makes a good jigsaw with the grasses and sunset adding a bit of difficulty.

Lastly I think the concept of photographing it as a jigsaw and your composition of the missed out pieces works well, as does the angle you took it at, which to me adds a certain dynamism.

And lastly lastly I like the way the eyes follow you around;)

Nice to see something a little different.

QS

thanks for all the kind comments so far :) just incase anyone is confused i didnt make it so clear in my first post this is all done in photoshop it was just a standard photo i had taken that i then places filters on and spent a long time with the pen tool.

Lee

Ah ok,
In that case I reckon it would make a good jigsaw and your PP skills/imagination are still good at getting an image you want.

QS

I like this pic Lee, I've been doing a couple of these recently. It's fairly straightforward once you get your head round the theory of it isn't it.

If I could sugest that you try to erase the tabs on the outer edges of the jigsaw by using the eraser tool in PS as this would give the edges a more jigsaw like edge.

(y)

Nice one Lee,

Since been stuck at home last few days been playing with similar, forced downtime makes you creative!

:clap: Really well done !!!
I've tried this before too and it takes a lot of patience to actually draw around and move the pieces that you want to take out of the puzzle.

I don't know how this would work as a real puzzle - that grassy area looks like it would be impossible! But as an overall image this has all come together very nicely.
The original photo of the dog is lovely - strong colours and an appealing pose, and I like the wooden floor / table that you've used as a canvas to place your puzzle on.

I think you could maybe do with a little more tweaking on combining the two elements though. The angle of the puzzle vs the angle of the table aren't quite gelling for me as it is. It gives the appearance that the table was shot from a higher angle, so I'd suggest either reducing the amount of perspective distortion on the puzzle layer to make it more "square", or reshooting the table layer from a lower angle.

A very subtle drop shadow added to the puzzle and the individual pieces would also make them look more "there" (if that makes sense!)

ahhh the ones at the top you mean?

Ahhh - I noticed that too.
TBH it's not something that instantly jumps out at you as being wrong, and I'd be tempted to leave that as it is, rather than lose the square edge to the puzzle. It's only on really close inspection that you notice those tiny tabs on the outside.

Back