Photoshop Elements 8 WARNING

I do take your point about clearer packaging, I don't think Adobe are alone in not making the terms of use easily accessible.

Audio CDs are similar though, you buy a CD and you can listen to it for your own personal enjoyment on any cd player, what you are not supposed to do is play it out loud in a public place and you're not supposed to lend it to anyone.

I appreciate that Steep, it was a comparison really. I suppose you "could" and do lend CD's to people though, and they are not limited to how many machines they play it on. Id have no problem though, if it said on them it wouldnt work on more than two machines.:)

Dawn - I've re-read what I've written and I wouldn't consider myself being rude at all. If you feel I am being rude then I'm sorry, but because I think your argument is unjustified, so I am not going to tread on eggshells or alter what I consider to be my normal way of communicating. Report me if you wish and let the mods decide.

I've taken the trouble to download read the EULA for Photoshop Elements 7 (and PSE 6) and it says in section 2.4 that you are permitted to install on one primary computer and a second one provided it is not used at the same time as the first. This to most means a desktop computer and possibly a laptop. It doesn't mean you can install on every computer in your household. Just because the programme doesn't lock up it doesn't mean you are not breaking the terms of use you have agreed to.

Section 2.5 of the EULA clarifies further saying that unless you have purchased an Adobe volume license key that the number of installs is subject to those in 2.4 and section 2.6 says that you are permitted to make a 'reasonable' number of backups of your installation disc or download files provided you comply with sections 2.4.

Always assume that when buying software, unless it states otherwise as being a family pack or similar, that you are granted one license and anything more than that is a bonus. Some would say that allowing two installations is actually quite generous of Adobe.

If you continue to be rude to me, I will report your posts, have I been rude to you? Id like to converse with you but not at the expense of having insults thrown my way, if you can speak to me properly, ill continue.

For your information, yes I did read the EULA in elements 7, as I said it was usable on all computers, I couldnt really read the other one (8) having gone halfway through the installation and then taken it back could I? See my point? If it had said, limited to 2 computers on the box, Id of bought one for 4 computers, as Adobe said they do. They also said nothing tells you on the box which is contained inside, THAT is my point! We also rang Adobe to buy a license, except they didnt know how much it was and we then rang the stores and companies listed on their sites as "lisence resellers" One was not in business, and we rang a further two, one didnt sell ANYTHING and the other had never been asked before and had no idea!! So whilst Adobe make great software it appears other parts of their company let them down miserably.

Dawn - I've re-read what I've written and I wouldn't consider myself being rude at all. If you feel I am being rude then I'm sorry, but because I don't have too much sympathy for your predicament so am am not going to tread on eggshells or alter what I consider to be my normal way of communicating. Report me if you wish and let the mods decide.

I've taken the trouble to download read the EULA for Photoshop Elements 7 and it says in section 2.4 that you are permitted to install on one primary computer and a second one provided it is not used at the same time as the first. This to most means a desktop computer and possibly a laptop. It doesn't mean you can install on every computer in your household. Just because the programme doesn't lock up it doesn't mean you are not breaking the terms of use you have agreed to.

Section 2.5 of the EULA clarifies further saying that unless you have purchased an Adobe volume license key that the number of installs is subject to those in 2.4 and section 2.6 says that you are permitted to make a 'reasonable' number of backups of your installation disc or download files provided you comply with sections 2.4.

Always assume that when buying software, you are granted one license and anything more than that is a bonus. Some would say that allowing two installations is actually quite generous of Adobe.

I think you're getting you're knickers in a real twist here
Rude and uncalled for.

In that case Andrew the copy bought from PC World of elements 7 has a volume license (which was what we tried to purchase from Adobe yesterday) as it has been installed on several computers, further demonstrating that the packaging shows you NOTHING of what you purchase, if you think assuming this one was the same was "naive" of me, then I must be, however, how am I to know?

Just because previous versions may not check how many computers you've installed it on, doesn't make it a volume license code. Maybe this is why they've introduced a tighter check in version 8.

Abode don't sell volume licenses through places like PC World, and having looked quickly online I don't think they do for PSE but am prepared to be corrected otherwise. They certainly do for the Photoshop CS4.

Just because previous versions may not check how many computers you've installed it on, doesn't make it a volume license code. Maybe this is why they've introduced a tighter check in version 8.

Abode don't sell volume licenses through places like PC World, and having looked quickly online I don't think they do for PSE but am prepared to be corrected otherwise. They certainly do for the Photoshop CS4.

Then that further implies the lack of continuity or labeling on Adobe products doesnt it. It should of been made clear how many computers it was licensed for, thats my only problem.

Assume that anything bought in a retail shop will be for single use only. Apple is the only software company I've come across that sells family packs in their shops. I really think the stance you are taking about labelling is a bit thin!

I think I'll pass by PC World tonight...

Assume that anything bought in a retail shop will be for single use only.

which is what i said about a page ago.. man im dizzy.. lol

if youre really that worried about how many copies a software package includes then a quick look on the vendors website for the EULA will 99% of the time sort you out.

thats where im leaving this topic because its going around in circles a bit in here..

p.s - i wouldnt concider "knickers in a twist" as rude in the slightest (my nan uses the phrase for example) but thats just me maybe.

:wave:

Assume that anything bought in a retail shop will be for single use only. Apple is the only software company I've come across that sells family packs in their shops. I really think the stance you are taking about labelling is a bit thin!

I think I'll pass by PC World tonight...
Have fun, but dont forget to read the T&C of any adobe products you may consider buying BEFORE you go! ;):)

which is what i said about a page ago.. man im dizzy.. lol

if youre really that worried about how many copies a software package includes then a quick look on the vendors website for the EULA will 99% of the time sort you out.

thats where im leaving this topic because its going around in circles a bit in here..

p.s - i wouldnt concider "knickers in a twist" as rude in the slightest (my nan uses the phrase for example) but thats just me maybe.

:wave:
I did, I object to it. Again, you assume everyone buying software has access to the net and can read these things before they buy, thousands dont.

I have installed mine on my desktop and two laptops with no problem. Only problem I have found is that a laptop with only 1gb of ram slows down to a snails pace. the 4gb ram one runs perfectly. Anyone else found this??

I have installed mine on my desktop and two laptops with no problem. Only problem I have found is that a laptop with only 1gb of ram slows down to a snails pace. the 4gb ram one runs perfectly. Anyone else found this??

So again, the program differs. Im pleased for you Alan, did you buy it from a shop?

I bought it from Amazon, the photoshop elements/premiere elements combination. It crashed nearly every time on the old laptop (xp) after I installed it, but the business bought a new up Toshiba laptop with 4gb ram (windows 7) and it works perfectly now. My office desktop has 1gb ram though and it works ok on that.
I just wondered if anyone else had this problem.:wacky:

I bought it from Amazon, the photoshop elements/premiere elements combination. It crashed nearly every time on the old laptop (xp) after I installed it, but the business bought a new up Toshiba laptop with 4gb ram (windows 7) and it works perfectly now. My office desktop has 1gb ram though and it works ok on that.
I just wondered if anyone else had this problem.:wacky:

Ahh ok, they had that combo in PC World too. Havent tried to install it on my laptop as I dont do any photo stuff on it.

I've brought the combined version. Photoshop Elements 8 hasn't caused me any problems so far. As for the video editing software included in the combined version (Premiere) I edited a video, did all the trickery I wanted. It then proceeds to do all the rendering etc. Gets to about three quarters way and all the thing crashes! To say I'm not impressed is an understatement.

Hope it's not going to be like the Studio video software I used to use. That used to have so many bugs regular updates were being done.

what can you do in elements 8 that you cant in cs4?

i always use cs4 ive never even heard of elements until this topic?

cheers
jonny

I've brought the combined version. Photoshop Elements 8 hasn't caused me any problems so far. As for the video editing software included in the combined version (Premiere) I edited a video, did all the trickery I wanted. It then proceeds to do all the rendering etc. Gets to about three quarters way and all the thing crashes! To say I'm not impressed is an understatement.

Hope it's not going to be like the Studio video software I used to use. That used to have so many bugs regular updates were being done.

what can you do in elements 8 that you cant in cs4?

i always use cs4 ive never even heard of elements until this topic?

cheers
jonny

I had CS3 and I found it massively confusing and very difficult to use, although I appreciated its capabilities it was a little beyond me. Elements I find fairly easy to use and navigate, its a lot cheaper too.

I agree, the the premiere elements does crash unexpectedly. I use Cyberlink Powerdirector for that and it works fine for me - although I have read a lot of reviews from people who find it crashes even more.

Elements could be considered Diet Photostop CS3/4

Most users only scratch the surface of what photoshop can do, and never will, so they cut out the geeky stuff and sell a cut down version that is still capable of more than most people will need and sell it at around £ 80 rather than £ 500.

Everything you can do in Elements you can do in CS4, but not the other way round.

Ahh i see! cheers for the info, think il just stick to cs4 as i know whats what onit :)

I have no problem with that, but it should be clearly marked on the box. You have NO way of knowing what you are buying.

It should be known to you before you pay for it. Imposing after the fact terms and conditions is not allowed.

And more to the point, how could they tell if you had it installed on more than two computers?

Steve.

It should be known to you before you pay for it. Imposing after the fact terms and conditions is not allowed.

And more to the point, how could they tell if you had it installed on more than two computers?

Steve.

Thats the other thing Steve, it states that it "may" attempt to connect to the internet to activate software, it also says: it will not transmit any identifiable information, except that IP addresses may be considered personally identifiable in some jurisdictions.

To me that says they may do it anyway even though they know it shouldnt! Im not sure if here in the UK IP addresses would come under data protection laws?

ip's are spoofable, i cant see them standing up in court as a 100% certainty it was you that installed 2 copies of a piece of software..

if youre that worried hide behind a proxy..

I dont understand it to be honest Neil, thanks for the info.:)

spoof = pretend to be one that you are not

hide behind a proxy = you can bounce your connection through an anonymous server (normally located in russia or far east) that will hide your true IP to anyone looking

Thats the other thing Steve, it states that it "may" attempt to connect to the internet to activate software

It may have trouble with that if you load it onto any number of machines without an internet connection!

Steve.

It may have trouble with that if you load it onto any number of machines without an internet connection!

Steve.

Yep, and that was my point about Adobe "assuming" everyone that buys their products DO have an internet connection. ;):)

Yep, and that was my point about Adobe "assuming" everyone that buys their products DO have an internet connection. ;):)

So does it only check when you install it or is it every time you start it up or is it more of a random check?

Steve.

So does it only check when you install it or is it every time you start it up or is it more of a random check?

Steve.

I dont know Steve, as far as you can tell when its installing, it doesnt connect, or nothing says that it is!!

Back