Photoshop fun competition?

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Who would be interested in having a fun weekly or fortnightly photoshop comp?

Any ideas for how we can do it? I used to do one on MEG, easy enough, pic a piccy, let the punters lose on it, have a vote..

any other ideas?

go for it m8

MP

It sounds like a good idea. We could all learn a lot from this :)

Could be fun but the only thing I'd like would be no custom actions, treat it as a learning experience for all of us. There's so much of photoshop I'd like to know how to master

hmm well i was thinking of posting a piccy, we all butcher it, with brief explanation of how, winner gets picked via magic of poll option and he/she picks a new piccy from his/her stock of images(no copyright issues then see)

This way we would all learn a thing or 2 by the poster having a brief explanation of whats occured, if we want further details, we can ask....

Actions are OK if its a generally available one!

dod said:
Could be fun but the only thing I'd like would be no custom actions, treat it as a learning experience for all of us. There's so much of photoshop I'd like to know how to master

Yeah I agree with that, there seems to be a few popular actions showing up in a lot of pictures that have been posted recently. We would all gain a lot more if we learned how to duplicate the results ourselves.

EosD said:
hmm well i was thinking of posting a piccy, we all butcher it, with brief explanation of how, winner gets picked via magic of poll option and he/she picks a new piccy from his/her stock of images(no copyright issues then see)

This way we would all learn a thing or 2 by the poster having a brief explanation of whats occured, if we want further details, we can ask....

That sounds like an excellent idea - i'd be up for it.

Matt

EosD said:

I disagree, I think everyone should do all work manually so that we gain the most from it. anyone can run a PS action and there is no skill or benefit in that, and as we are not even working on our own image there is no incentive either.

Just my 2p worth, i'll get my coat now should I? :wink:

no, good point well made!

ok, i will think of some simple guidelines, will keep it simple, its just a bit of fun...

Steve said:
EosD said:

I disagree, I think everyone should do all work manually so that we gain the most from it. anyone can run a PS action and there is no skill or benefit in that, and as we are not even working on our own image there is no incentive either.

Just my 2p worth, i'll get my coat now should I? :wink:

Sorry to hijack the thread for a stupid question but seeing as it was raised here its just easier :) what do you mean by Actions? Ive been using Photoshop/Paintshop for about 4 years but never heard that expression before (self taught so sorry if it is something really common that everyone knows already :) )

I like the idea also and would definitely be up for joining in.

'Actions' are sort of little macros - one-button functions which automate a series of processes you regularly do- say you regularly adjust the levels, apply USM and resize, and that each time the parametrs are the same, you can create an action which PS 'remembers' and you can apply with one mouse click. You can download actions for PS off the internet and create your own.

They can be very convenient and time saving, but the fact is it's a bit like sticking your camera on full auto - you don't learn much and you can usually do much more manually anyway. :LOL:

There's loads of ways you could go about this. We could use the 'cloning mulltiple images together' thread I did, and I promise you it is really easy! Choose the funniest

You could have an 'I Was There' thread where you put yourself in some historic picture, "Custer's Last Stand " on the Titanic. It doesn't have to be a photo it could be a painting - it's just for fun and the principles are the the same.

There isn't much that can't be done, we just need ideas.

Back