Photoshop help

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Have just bought PS Elements 7.
I have been playing with the clone tool and understand what I can do with it, next step was to be able to cut out images and put them onto another, ie cut out a head and shoulders and put it onto a action shot of the same guy.

Thing is, I can't seem to get it right, the magic wand and selection tools seem so difficult to work, the 'running ants' I can get around the figures but they also pick up bits inside the figures and I can't move them.

Anybody any tips?

Hold the shift and click the other areas within the man, this adds to the selection.

Hold down shift or control on the keyboard (whichever it is in Elements). When you do this, as long as you keep it pressed you can slowly select a figure in stages against even a complicated bg by just keeping clicking in areas not previously selected. The main thing is not to have the tolerance of the wand set too high, which is usually the case if the marquee goes over onto your main figure. If this happens just go up to edit and undo the last mask step, then drop the tolerance of the wand.

In Paint Shop Pro as long as you keep Control depressed, you can also swap from the wand to any other mask tool you like, so you could select (for example) a freehand mask tool and just freehand select large difficult areas which will be added to your mask. I'd be surprised if you can't do that in Photoshop.

Even the most difficult areas can be selected, just don't expect it to be a five minute job and keep playing with that tool tolerance setting as you go. ;)

Google, making selections in photoshop.

would this tool work for when u want mutliple of image's on the same background and the same picutre???

Yes but you would have to have the image to be extracted as a layer on the background image

Just a quick and dirty example using the Magic Extractor.

3160745204_c3c995ed14.jpg

3160745208_311337a7fc.jpg

3160745212_be8367834f_o.jpg

another question am i blind or just stupid where do i find that tool lol on cs3???

Your not as the original question was for Elements and its not in CS3 but you will find a similar but harder to use tool under > Filter> Extract, this tool as not been updated since Photoshop 7 and is nowhere as good or as efficaintly simple as the latest one in Elements 6 or 7.:)

what is the whole elements and photoshop difference's??? i know a little about photoshop the first few steps of the program but i keep hearing of elements??? **** the main differences??

what is the whole elements and photoshop difference's??? i know a little about photoshop the first few steps of the program but i keep hearing of elements??? **** the main differences??

Elements is a cut down version of photoshop/CSX. It basically has all the functions required to do any basic editing required and is much, much cheaper.

Yes but you would have to have the image to be extracted as a layer on the background image

Just a quick and dirty example using the Magic Extractor.

Thanks for that, works well.

Back