Photoshop ... knowing what you don't know

Who knew there was a camera raw FILTER?
I did! :D ;) :LOL:

Seriously, it's been there a few years. It is very handy as it can be applied on an image, and/or as a Smart Object. And once on a layer, it can be masked to affect part of an image if desired. Because of all the editing options in the Camera Raw Filter, it can be a lot easier to edit using many different settings in the filter, rather than using dedicated tools on a few different layers.

And if the Camera Raw Filter is used as a Smart Object, it can be re-edited at any time, the same as if the image was imported as Smart Object from the Camera Raw plugin, which can be re-edited in Camera Raw at any time. :)

Here's another that I "stumbled" across, as noted above I subscribe to his channel but even if I did watch every video he puts out I wouldn't remember them all.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrerC80h84

With regard to the above in the context of this thread, for me it's not enough to just stumble across a video like the one above, its about knowing when to apply this technique as opposed to the many other ways of achieving similar results, let alone struggling to grasp how this technique actually modifies an image so that one might know what its strengths and weaknesses are.

Ah. You want to use it for cheating... :giggle:
This comment has been slowly fermenting in the back of my mind and looking at some photos I took today I was struck by a response, well actually there are two responses,
  1. I want to make the photos look more like the scene I saw, the image in my mind, rather than the clinical thing the camera captured - as we all know documentary is too real ;)
  2. I want to be more creative, enhance a photo to convey the emotion I felt about the scene.

This comment has been slowly fermenting in the back of my mind and looking at some photos I took today I was struck by a response, well actually there are two responses,
  1. I want to make the photos look more like the scene I saw, the image in my mind, rather than the clinical thing the camera captured - as we all know documentary is too real ;)
  2. I want to be more creative, enhance a photo to convey the emotion I felt about the scene.
We all know a camera doesn't record a scene as we see it - I view processing as correcting the cameras output to match my reality. [emoji6]

Back