Photoshop question

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm currently using a PC, running Windows 10 and have Photoshop Elements 12 installed. Recent purchases are a Canon 5Div and a Canon 90D. I am having to identify the images in the Canon DPP raw converter, then saving to jpeg before the Elements will work on them. I'm aware that the later Elements versions will cater for the raw. If I were to purchase the monthly subscription for Photoshop (+ LR), and remain on windows 10, would this version open raw CS2 and the new 90D raw CS3 versions direct in ACR and display the images without the need for DPP.? I'd like to have the confidence before I consider the purchase. Many thanks.

Yes, the subscription based LR + Photoshop is kept up to date with all camera models supported.
There may be a delay of a few weeks between a new model being released, and support being added, but it's fairly quick.
There is a page on the Adobe site that gives all models supported, and by what version;

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

It looks like Photoshop elements supports DNG format, so there is the alternative to use the Adobe DNG converter to switch the Canon raw to DNG, then use your existing copy of Elements.
This would mean you would be working on a raw format rather than jpeg.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/why-is-my-camera-not-supported.html

Yes, the subscription based LR + Photoshop is kept up to date with all camera models supported.
There may be a delay of a few weeks between a new model being released, and support being added, but it's fairly quick.
There is a page on the Adobe site that gives all models supported, and by what version;

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

It looks like Photoshop elements supports DNG format, so there is the alternative to use the Adobe DNG converter to switch the Canon raw to DNG, then use your existing copy of Elements.
This would mean you would be working on a raw format rather than jpeg.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/why-is-my-camera-not-supported.html
Thank you Jonathan. I think your opening line answers my needs. I just seek the simplicity of being able to see directly on windows 10 and opening direct in ACR in PS, then jpeg in the same software, for both CR2 and CR3.

Thank you Jonathan. I think your opening line answers my needs. I just seek the simplicity of being able to see directly on windows 10 and opening direct in ACR in PS, then jpeg in the same software, for both CR2 and CR3.
Keep in mind, that by going the subscription route, rather than the free convert to DNG route, should you stop the subscription, you may not be able to edit the RAW files after that. :oops: :$

Rather than subscribe, and you don't want to stay with you what you have, and the DNG converter route, you may want to consider the latest version of Elements, which is a one off payment. It is able to edit RAWs, and which should be able to use the RAW files of the latest cameras. At least until next years version comes out, ;) and new cameras come out down the line. If you are not planning on buying any new cameras, the current version could last you for years. And the RAW>DNG conversion route is still open in the future. ;)

I'm currently using a PC, running Windows 10 and have Photoshop Elements 12 installed. Recent purchases are a Canon 5Div and a Canon 90D. I am having to identify the images in the Canon DPP raw converter, then saving to jpeg before the Elements will work on them. I'm aware that the later Elements versions will cater for the raw. If I were to purchase the monthly subscription for Photoshop (+ LR), and remain on windows 10, would this version open raw CS2 and the new 90D raw CS3 versions direct in ACR and display the images without the need for DPP.? I'd like to have the confidence before I consider the purchase. Many thanks.
The subscription means you get all updates included. New camera models are added as they come out, usually within a couple of weeks. Major features are added to LR & PS every 3 to 4 months, with smaller updates and bug fixes when required. You also get the mobile apps, iPad app, Photoshop and LR on the web (which are surprisingly capable), cloud syncing to tie it all together, and a free website builder in Adobe Portfolio. It's a bargain for what you get.

Just to add, if you are thinking about going the subscription route, keep a watch on Amazon for their 1yr bundles.
These are normally the same price as 12 months of subscriptions, but they discount the bundle at various times through the year (you've just missed the latest one, which gave you a year for £73 for Prime members) - you buy the bundle, and add the code to your Adobe account, and get 12 months credit, with any payments paused until the credit is used. Simply add another 12 months code before the credit expires to extend your credit by a further 12 months, and never pay the full price again :)

Is the latest version of Lightroom/Photoshop compatible with Windows 10?

Thanks to all for your inputs. I'm certainly edging towards the PS/LR subscription; the simple transition in opening direct in ACR and all the latest updates seems to be a winner.
Good point regarding the DNG path.

Thanks to all for your inputs. I'm certainly edging towards the PS/LR subscription; the simple transition in opening direct in ACR and all the latest updates seems to be a winner.
Good point regarding the DNG path.
Just seen that Amazon are still offering the 12 month bundle for £73.49, if you are a Prime member (but apparently you can sign up for the free trial, get the offer, then cancel the trial before being charged anything for Prime membership).

Some times if I have a dodgy looking sky I'll shoot two shots, one for the main scene and one for the sky then layer them in photoshop and use the darker sky. That or a hdr. Grad filters work best if you have a nice flat horizon, here in Wales flat bits are hard to find, so I mostly dont use those. ;)

My twopenneth - if you're not planning on updating or changing your camera anytime soon (or your PC), I'd go with the one-off payment for the version that works with your camera.

I have the subscription to the full Creative Cloud through work, but before I had that I bought a standalone version of LR to amend photos. it still got some updates from memory, but was perfectly usable for several years. At the time it was cheaper than even one year of subscription.

I'd also say that unless you're working with masks and multiple layers, DPP does probably 90% of what LR does and is free.

Last edited:
Back