Photoshop - RAW - Help

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys

I've got photoshop version 7

Today i have been out and about with my camera and have taken shots in RAW as advised. But i'm now trying to have a play with them on PS and i'm having some issues with how to set them up.

I'm going to, file, open as, then selecting a raw file, choosing the shot i want, then after that i get a box come up asking me for RAW options and what size dimensions i want and what count etc, is this normal and what do i do, i have no idea what size is normal

HELP!!!!!

PS 7 can not open RAW files. Use the free software that came with your camera called Digital Photo Professional. If you don't have it you can download it free from the canon website.

When you're up and running open the RAW file in DPP, do whatever needs doing in that program (exposure, sharpen etc (have a play)) then save as either Tiff or Jpeg.

Thats what i do. You will learn that DPP is a good RAW editor and it's FEEEEEE!!!!

Good luck

I have Elements 6 and this has no problem loading and editing .Nef (Nikon Raw) files. Is this normal?? or are they not the same?? I'monly just starting to shoot Raw so I can stack HDR them. I dont think I have a plug-in or anything so maybe its a Cannon thing ;-) I'm sure there will be someone along in a few min who will know more than me!!

Photoshop CS3/4, Lightroom or Elements 6/7 Or for free you could use The Gimp and get the RAW Plugin from the net.

Why don't you like DPP? I must admit it is pretty limited. I would like an easier interface and more options.

I've never really used DPP so not quite sure where to start but like you said it's pretty limited (but then so is my knowledge of PS)

I'm going to have to have a look round, i really like the idea that you can do more with RAW files, so am definatly going to stick with that in future

From my very limited knowledge it seems to me that the main core of getting the photo right is in the RAW editing process. I would find the best software for this as a priority as i am doing. Once the picture is as you want it most people save the file as Tiff or Jpg. Most free image editors are capable of finishing off the image as desired.

My Dad always says that you need to get it right in camera 1st so that's something else to take into account!

It's amazing what some people do with limited equipment. just because you have just spent £6000 on cameras, lenses and software does not make you any better than someone with a cheap camera/lens and free software. It's what you do with it that counts. Learn everything you can about what you have, you may be surprised!

But for now use DPP and have a play with the settings and see what happens.

Compared to the RAW functions in Lightroom and Photoshops' ACR then DPP is fairly limited. However if you are just starting out with RAW processing then it's a good place to start.In fact until Lightroom came along most people would have been more than happy with the functionality of it.

I keep thinking.. should i buy another programme to edit my RAW files and i keep testing what i have in DPP and get pretty good results.

Both Elements 7 and Lightroom are available for a free 1 month trial so i guess it's worth having a play and see what you think.

I use Photoshop Elements 7 and RAW works fine - use file and open (not open as!) and then the raw file should open in a CameraRAW window. You then can fiddle with the raw file and select Open to open that into the editor and do all the usual stuff afterwards...

I have just bought and loaded Elements 7 and i must say it's a superb bit of kit for the money. It handles RAW SO much better than DPP, there are so many more options, i love it and at £50 well......what can i say......Brilliant!(y)

Back