Photoshop refine selection and mask question

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I've been following this video to help me learn how to refine selections, however once I've got the selection how I want it I'm still left with the black background. If I remove that I've just got the checkerboar background, how do I get the original background back please, in the case of this video the white paper the pencil was on?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHfGDfbXdT4&ab_channel=PiXimperfect

I've been following this video to help me learn how to refine selections, however once I've got the selection how I want it I'm still left with the black background. If I remove that I've just got the checkerboar background, how do I get the original background back please, in the case of this video the white paper the pencil was on?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHfGDfbXdT4&ab_channel=PiXimperfect
When I do it I always duplicate the layer and then work on the top layer. That way you can then add any background underneath the the top layer.

When I do it I always duplicate the layer and then work on the top layer. That way you can then add any background underneath the the top layer.
Thanks very much, that works (y)

I've run into another issue. Sometimes once I've created the selection and then create another layer from the selection (in this case curves) the new layer isn't copying the selection and is just selecting the whole scene, as shown in the screenshot. Why does it not always copy the mask on the new layer, and how do I get it to do so please?

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 18.18.02.jpg

I've run into another issue. Sometimes once I've created the selection and then create another layer from the selection (in this case curves) the new layer isn't copying the selection and is just selecting the whole scene, as shown in the screenshot. Why does it not always copy the mask on the new layer, and how do I get it to do so please?

View attachment 398674

If you are using a Mac then it's OPTION DRAG the mask onto the Curves Layer.

I have found this pretty good for masking etc (not just hair on dogs, but it`s a good example).

Back