Picking a camera for the first time.

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
I don't mean any disrespect to any people who starting out in this hobby but I am wondering why it appearks it seems to be so hard to pick a camera? Is it because of too much choice?

I remember when I started this photography thing, I was shooting film and I honestly don’t remember struggling to find the right camera.

I was studying Architecture at the time and Canon does a Tilt/Shift lens for architecture shots (when I have the money…still don’t have 1 yet and I don’t do Architecture anyone lol) where Nikon only does a Tilt one, so that pretty much ends the discussion of which brand I should get. I wasn’t even thinking of Minolta (which is what Sony bought) or any other brands.

Then it was down to what camera, apart from all the EOS SLR that came before it (EOS 1000, EOS 5, the new SLR models at the time is not too dissimilar to the current DSLRs. You basically have the EOS300 (like the 400D), the EOS 30/Elan7 (40D), EOS 3 (5D) and the EOS 1V (1D MKIII).

They all slot into a price bracket, I had a budget and I bought a camera for that. I bought the EOS 300.

Side point was that I out grew the EOS 300 in about a week, and find it too limiting (not enough features, plastic lens mount…etc, and got a refund within 28 days and upgraded to the Eos30 which I still have today.

When it came to Digital, since I already have Canon EOS lenses, the choice was already made for me. Basically I went out and bought a 30D, there wasn’t even a thought that crossed my mind on whether I should get the 350D (back then) or the 5D, since I know the 350D would be limiting and the 5D is out of my budget.

Buying a camera all seem to be very logical to me, I don’t see the faffle of the decision making in it….or is it just me?

If you are new to photography the choice can be overwhelming. When I got mine I kept seeing a better camera for an extra £50. It can be really hard knowing which features you need and will use until you get into it. If you've previously used film I guess the choice must be easier.
But there are a lot of independent reviews out there , which i what I used in combination with going and trying the cameras.

But I do sympathise with people coming into the hobby, especially with the choice of bridge cameras and older model dslr's.

Mine was bought for me so I did not have a choice in it, if I had been the one looking I would have had a big problem though because to a beginner when you look online for information they all seem to do pretty much the same job and until you use one you are noy going to know if you will need all the functions they have, I know I don't use/need half what mine can do even now.

I would probably still have gone with Canon simply because Nikon lenses are not as easy to follow which spec goes with which camera for a newbie :woot: and the other makes do not have the wide range of lenses Canon and Nikon do.

It's not just too many cameras that are out there, it's also the fact that people who are clueless about it often want something 'good' if they can afford it.

Some never realise that what makes a photo good is usually the photographer's decision, not his/her gear. Of course, some people find out that they've outgrown their gear. If they know why, then it sometimes comes down to making a choice. Lots of people hate that, especially when they have loads to choose from and they'd prefer to have someone else make the choice for them.
Some are just too indecisive :p

As always you get what you pay for and before you know it its out of date. A good second hand camera may do more and be adequate for all your needs as most photographers do not use it to its full capability. Priced right and it should see you in the digital world with no loss of resolution or compromise. Don't forget that a quality camera also requires quality lenses. Hope you get the best deal to suit your pocket.

I forgot to add that, in the old days, even after you picked your camera, you are then into the world of film/slides. The choice of picking which one to use at what occasion is even more than picking the camera itself. The path of finding one that you like is a constant one that almost never ends.

Back