Picking a tripod

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
What criteria / methods do people use in picking a tripod and you you go for an all rounder or multiple ones that fit the situation. I guess the main parameters are

Price
Load capacity
Weight
Max Height
Min Height (with / without centre column or removable centre column)
With / without head kit

And just on the max height how do people pick the max height need?

Think what I want it for and then choose accordingly, mainly travel in my case.
I usually look for folded length, weight and height without centre column extended.
The latter for me has to be at least 130cm otherwise its just too short.
Price is a consideration within reason, but no point buying something unsuitable just because its within budget.
Better off saving a bit more or just biting the bullet and cough up

Last edited:
It's another one of those "Get what suits you best" things.
My tripod is a heavy aluminium Manfrotto as I never carry one more than about 300 yards.
I bought a geared head for mine as I got frustrated with trying to make small adjustments with ball heads, action grips and the standard video style set ups.
The best feature of my tripod is the centre column can be changed to horizontal orientation. This is great for macro work where I need the camera facing downwards.
Maximum load is important when using heavy pro gear.

I never felt the need to have mine very high.

Build quality, durability vs price would be the top point here. And by that you would be ruling out almost every tripod under the sun. Finally you just want to make sure the head attachment size matches the head, despite what they bluff in the marketing material. Such a thing shouldn't be bought online as a pure guess.

Weight capacity is meaningless as there is no standard. I used to have a Manfrotto rated at 8 kilos that I wouldn't put 6 kilos on yet I had an old Gitzo (rated at 12 kilos) was quite happy supporting me - 100+ kilos!

Naturally the tripod will have to be tall enough for your needs and rigid enough for your uses, once these are established then you can start making some choices.

Let us know more about your specific requirements and budget and, perhaps, we can make some useful suggestions. I note from your profile that you have a 3 series Gitzo - that covers nearly everything!:)

Buy right buy once buy cheap buy twice simple.
work out what you want and need it for then find what suits you best and get that.
I personally have 3 tripods all with different uses.

Depends what pictures you want to take? FWIW I’ve ended up with a couple of full height CF, a smaller travel one, and a very small one.

The old adage is:

Light
Stable
Cheap

- pick any two.

If you already have a Gitzo Series 3, then it might make sense to complement it with something smaller and lighter like a Series 1 Traveler (light, rigid, small when collapsed, and in the latest version surprisingly tall when extended, but certainly not cheap). On the other hand, you might want a heavy and very stable studio tripod. But I'd only buy another if there were some specific need.

Decent max load capacity, good height, lightweight

I've never really gotten on with tripods, atm I only own a pixel mini tabletop one, if I was to buy another full size it would have to be carbon fibre.

I have a bad back, so I wanted a tripod that would reach my eye height without a centre column (I'm 6'1") without me having to bend. I wanted height, & sturdiness as the two main points with weight being the 3rd most important and cost last. Ended up with an FLM CP30-XL which will not only bring a camera to my eye without me having to bend, but will do it on all the downward slopes I've been on. It comes with a centre column but I removed it some time ago (mainly weight related). I can't see myself ever needing anything else.

I have a main 'home' tripod and a 'travel' tripod. The main tripod was bought first, and the primary decisions for me with that was cost and height. The height I wanted was about eye level with the centre column down and around £100-200 (with head). For me that turned out to be a Manfrotto 055 (Pro B I think) which is a about 1.4m with the centre column down. It has the flip locks to adjust leg height. More on this later. ;) It also has the option to take the centre column up and put it back in horizontally, which can be good for taking pics pointing down or at a low level. I got a ball head at the same time, 'I think' I may have had a 486RC, with a quick release plate. You always have to factor in the cost of a head as well as the tripod. ;) I've had that tripod for about 10 or so years.

When I started travelling abroad I decided I needed a smaller tripod to fit in the case, as the larger tripod wouldn't. I got a Manfrotto 190 Pro tripod, and of course already had the head. I would have to bend slightly with the centre column down when taking pics, but it was a small price to pay for having it with me. This also had the flip locks for adjusting leg height. Again more on this later. ;) The good thing about both these tripods is that the legs can be splayed very wide and low, and the centre columns can be placed horizontally. This has come in handy a few times, but particularly on one occasion in Rome when I have been taking pics on the wall of a bridge with the legs not extended, but the legs splayed and the centre column horizontal, and it was the perfect height, so didn't have to shoot over the wall of the bridge, which was quite high, as I was on the wall. :)

All that was fine and I was happy until 2017 when I left my travel tripod (and head) on a boat in Venice. :oops: :$ :eek::rolleyes: :banghead: So I had to replace the Manfrotto 190, so I thought I would get the same again. I went into my local camera store to check that, and any other options, and noticed that the size of the flip locks had got a lot bigger on the 190 compared to the one I had, and would actually hamper its use flat out in similar situations to the one described above, so I decided to get one with the twist release legs. I ended up buying the 190 Go! 4 section with twist release legs, 1.22m with centre column down, and I have been very happy with it so far. I saved about £30+ buying from Park Cameras, as they had an 'open box' one for sale, which turned out to be that the box was damaged when I asked, but otherwise everything was perfect and still untouched in plastic bag in damaged box. :D It pays to look around, ;) because prices for tripods are normally pretty similar between everyone.

Like I said, 'I think' I may have had a 486RC ball head before, but got a 496RC2 as the replacement. It was a toss up between the sticking with the Manfrotto Quick Release plate, or change to the Arca Swiss type plate, but I stayed with a the quick release. I didn't really consider Carbon tripods because of the cost. All my gear is not that heavy, so the tripod(s) and head can easily handle my needs. If possible, always go a to a shop and check as many as possible, because I wouldn't have picked up on Manfrotto changing the size of the flip locks on the legs if I hadn't, and it is better to check the heights then from numbers on a webpage.

Hope that helps someone in some way. If I weren't going abroad, I would have been happy with only the original tripod. And wouldn't have lost a tripod in Venice. :oops: :$ Worth it though. :LOL:

Like others on here, I don't have a one size fits all solution. I have three. Basically a big one, a medium sized one and a tiny one.

I take the largest one that is practical for the occassion, largely dictated by how far I'm travelling. Can't really imagine making a one-stop solution viable though the Gitzo Travellers come close.

I'd completely ignore load capacity. It is bizarrely inconsistent between manufacturers and seems to have no grounding in the real world.

I'm more interested in tube diameters, folding size, number of leg sections, weight, and working height (without centre column, hate those things). They are all closely related so you also need to pay attention to the detail. Quality of design, construction and material selection. That is what normally differentiates the expensive stuff from cheaper stuff. I try to get a tripod, factoring the head height, that will get my camera VF at eye height on flat ground. Makes it easier to set up quickly a lot of the time.

When i last picked a tripod it was chosen based on

Cost, Weight and packed dimensions.

Had an all singing all dancing tripod, great for taking up space in the cupboard but never got used.

New one is so light and small i take it everywhere, yes it's not as stable or as versatile but it gets used had enough features to be useful for 95% of what the other one was.

When i last picked a tripod it was chosen based on

Cost, Weight and packed dimensions.

Had an all singing all dancing tripod, great for taking up space in the cupboard but never got used.

New one is so light and small i take it everywhere, yes it's not as stable or as versatile but it gets used had enough features to be useful for 95% of what the other one was.
I went for about 3

1) super light - think about 850g but only extends up to about 130cm
2) travel - light, folds to compact (35cm) but extends up to 166 cm
3) heavy when I have a car close by heavy at about 1.9kg but extends up to about 180 and the centre column flips over

I went for about 3

1) super light - think about 850g but only extends up to about 130cm
2) travel - light, folds to compact (35cm) but extends up to 166 cm
3) heavy when I have a car close by heavy at about 1.9kg but extends up to about 180 and the centre column flips over

Mines 980g, folded 33cm with ball head.
Takes 8kg max height 142cm.
Arca-swiss was important as well. All for under £100.

Mines 980g, folded 33cm with ball head.
Takes 8kg max height 142cm.
Arca-swiss was important as well. All for under £100.
I worked the needed height backwards on the basis of being 5'11 = 180 cm

eye line is at 175 cm
base of camera is 8cm lower than the viewfinder
smallest head I use is 7 cm

ergo need a tripod that can get to at least 160cm (175- 8 -7) so I don't have to stoop when shooting landscapes. Hence went for the one that went up to 166 cm

That was the issue with the one that went to 130cm

Back