Picking up after a while....what have I missed?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I used to be an active member here a few years back then with a relocation and the arrival of a second child 4 years ago, photography took a back seat. I recently realised how much I miss photography and now that I'm WFH for the foreseeable future, I think it's time to dust off the camera bag and what's inside.

However, I feel like I haven't got a clue what's happened in the photography arena over the last few years - what's all this mirrorless business?! I have a Nikon D610 with a 24-70mm f2.8. Used to have a 10-20mm wide angle which I flogged a while ago as it was too expensive and collecting dust but decided to hang on to the 610 and lens. I would quite like to get something lighter and maybe add a lens or 2 to the collection so, what are my options? Portraits and landscapes are usually my go to shots........All suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

Mirrorless maybe started with Olympus and Panasonic but now they're all at it and you can if you want buy MFT (micro four thirds) cameras, APS-C ones or FF. Sony were in early with FF mirrorless but Nikon and Canon do them now too.

You lose the mirror box and optical VF and gain an EVF and with it accurate and consistent focus pretty much throughout the whole frame. You can if you want have WYSIWYG and dof and exposure in view plus other things such as an in view histogram, in view level and focus and exposure aids such as zebras and focus peaking. One of the biggest new things in IMO face and eye detect which is IMO a revelation if you take pictures of people as your subject can be anywhere in the frame, rather than relying on focus points clustered around the centre of the frame as with a DSLR. Actually, the eye focus has moved on from people now and works on some animals. Mirrorless is also good for MF too as you can call up a magnified view and focus very accurately.

Following on from all that. You can use old manual lenses via cheap dumb mount adapters and you can even use DSLR lenses via more expensive AF adapters.

Video is a big thing too but I'm not interested :D

I do think this mirrorless stuff is the future :D

I changed to mirrorless totally last year due to age and health problems ,there are lots of bells and whistles advantages but the main two benefits are shooting speeds and weight . I.e my Olympus rig with a 2x crop factor and a long reach wildlife lens fitted 1120mm in full frame terms .weighs in at under 2kg ,with stunning I.S that allows hand holding and shoots at up to 15fps

Then also price up the cost of general purpose lenses and your quids in . The future has happened

I had a D610 until early 2019, then moved to a Sony A7III. Key differences are hugely better AF, better shadow recovery, crisper image quality. Weight-wise it's no different, and although the camera body is lighter, for general work I changed from a Nikon 28-105 to a Sony 24-105 which is much larger and heavier. Build quality of the Sony kit seems much higher than that of the Nikon, less plasticity and no creaks.

Back