Pinwheel Galaxy - up close.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first attempt at using guiding for my HD925 to capture a deep sky target. Previously I have only used it for Planetary and Lunar imaging.

Moving to 2300mm from 550mm is one big learning curve for me.

I have realised that manual focussing is a real challenge for reflectors I need to get the FWHM down considerably.

The tracking was not bad but still could be improved. Lots of other issues and I need more data of course.

Anyway, this image is probably not worth sharing but at least its mine. Pinwheel.jpg

Good start, keep practicing :)

Thanks. I have a long long way to go in learning how to use reflectors.
Very disappointed I made so many basic mistakes.

Be patient David. It is a huge learning curve and yet the most satisfying experience when you get a handle on it.

It does get easier though in my experience a refractor and a solid tracking mount is the key to repeated success but they cost ££££. A mounted newtonian or SCT will do it of course as you have shown but it is much more challenging. Stick at it.

I have imaged with a 10" Dobsonian; a 10" SCT and a 5" and 3" refractor and the 5" refractor was the sweet spot for me. Mounted on a Takahasi mount with the 3" as a guide scope it worked better than I could have imagined.

Do they make Bhatinov masks for SCT's? I found that really helpful on my refractor but not sure it works on SCT's.

Back