Planet Photography...

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for some steering really...

Last night whilst out taking moon-shots, I noticed Jupiter was really bright - looking through the camera I could very clearly also see all 4 moons...
So, I rattled off a few shots to very little avail....
I know the first thing you're all thinking is that you'll never get anywhere like that! lol but bear with me!!

2 years ago I managed to capture this shot using 2 exposures (one for the moons, one for the planet), and I was quite pleased with myself - it's a 100% crop, but you can see the bands...
14212_10151311366892040_370639440_n.jpg

Last night I used the same setup, same camera, same lens, but couldn't get anywhere near this - I could get the moons OK, but the planet was completely blown all of the time, or if reducing the exposure, it just faded to a pale blob.

Last nights poor effort:

View attachment 28142

I can't find my original photo from above, so can't check the exif to see what settings I used - but does anyone have any tips?

And yes I do have a telescope too, but found it very difficult to keep it steady compared to the lens (which is a 300-800).

Any pointers?

Having done a fair bit of research into this today, I think I'm going to buy a copy of BackyardEOS and a copy of Registax, and do a 'movie' stacking image instead.
I'd like to be able to learn this technique anyway for the future, so seems like a good place to start... just a shame it's going to be cloudy tonight (n)

yes , you cant get both Jupiter and its moons in the same shot and exposed correctly, i have used a webcam and then used registax - came out pretty well

Back