Beginner Planning a shot... Steam Train (Flying Scotsman)

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I'd like to get a decentish photo(s) of The Flying Scotsman when it's in/comes through Appleby next weekend.
I have no idea how to take a photo of a train, moving or otherwise, but then I've never attempted it before.

Does anyone know how best to plan to be in the right place at the right time? I don't even know where else along the line is accessible if there's anywhere, or that would make a great shot. I'd imagine that Appleby station would be popular and thus not really worth bothering with as I'd not get close.

Similarly for the NYMR (north yorks moors railway) out of the stations :)

First decide what type of shot you want. Long distence head on, high view point, side on panning, low angle,ect. Then find a spot that will give you the view you want. The only thing I would say for a beginner is keep the sun on the same side as yourself.

With regards to the light and sun position etc. take a look at The Photographers Ephemeris. It's a free PC program that allows you to see the sun/moon position at any time and also the effects of the shadows. It plots against either google maps or OS maps, so it makes for a handy tool for landscapes, I also use it for motor sport to choose my vantage points based on where the sun is.

Hello,

I'd like to get a decentish photo(s) of The Flying Scotsman when it's in/comes through Appleby next weekend.
I have no idea how to take a photo of a train, moving or otherwise, but then I've never attempted it before.

Does anyone know how best to plan to be in the right place at the right time? I don't even know where else along the line is accessible if there's anywhere, or that would make a great shot. I'd imagine that Appleby station would be popular and thus not really worth bothering with as I'd not get close.

Similarly for the NYMR (north yorks moors railway) out of the stations :)
Think you might be disappopinted. It isn't running. You'll get two Black5s instead. Nice to get a double header but it won't be FS.

Back