Plant macros using gitzo explorer or suggest best alternative

Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to make a choice of various tripods and heads for a specific use which is mostly macro photography while hiking in rough rocky/swampy/sandy/crawl around on my hands and knees terrain. Mostly plant pictures, trying to document the various plant species here and to show them at various stages of growth. Big plants (trees) to little tiny ones. Water plants that require hanging over a water pool or a pond to get a floating plant without getting my boots soaked! Eye level photos of tiny orchids. Lovely moss and lichens, cranberries, thorns....you get the picture!

I've been taking these plant photos for a number of years but recently gave up on the low quality small chip cameras (I used the Minolta Dimage 7 and A2 with a Velbond Maxi) and bought a Nikon D90 and 60 mm macro and 18-200 for general purpose. Still coming to grips with how big and heavy they are! Oh well, the older (lighter!) equipment did get me to over 300 species so far though, although I look forward to improving the quality of them as I see them.

As well as wind, mosquitoes and bears, we also can have snow and cold from October to March/April and even longer at higher elevations. I want/need simplicity in setup, as light as possible and as small as possible. I see many different plants on an outing and take a number of different photos of each, especially when hiking in a new area. Living in the mountains means I also take lots of landscape photos. Weightwise, I don't anticipate buying a big telephoto (and needing to hire a kid to carry it for me.)

I'm looking at the gitzo 2541EX and either the acratech ultimate head (or GV2?) or the gitzo 2750QR off-center head. These appeal because getting the tripod flat can often be difficult if plunked down in bushes or on swampy ground or at a rock face. Taking plant pictures often calls for portrait orientation just as much as horizontal so simple switching is a need. What I'd like is to hear from people with either setup. But I'd also like to see "action" photos of camera/tripod head setups to visualize what works best.

Additionally, I read in various forums that the offset center column compromises rigidity. People talk about using a "normal" head and focusing rail and an L-bracket all mounted on a "normal" tripod as giving what they need. Or clamping to tripod legs or different center columns. However, I can't find pictures of HOW they use these setups. It sounds appealing, more stability, lighter tripods, more choice in tripods —but I'm concerned about flexibility. And I want pretty rugged gear that will stand up. (Thus my finding the Gitzo explorer series interesting.)

I don't want to get sidetracked by RRS vs Kirk vs..... or Gitzo vs Manfrotto vs..... I just want to learn more about how others actually take their tricky access-limited pictures— tripod, head, L-plate, rail?. And assuming most of you have cameras, pictures would be great.

Living in a remote town makes it difficult to go shopping and look at various tripod/head setups, so I thought I'd throw my quest out here.

Thanks.

Additionally, I read in various forums that the offset center column compromises rigidity.
Peter

I specifically bought a Gitzo carbon tripod with an offset centre for macro work. Angling the centre column allows good access and positioning without having to get the legs in amongst the fauna (avoids disturbing the insects resting place).

I use the setup with a Canon body and 180L macro lens....haven't had any concerns about stability so far...(FWIW).

Bob

I use a G2272 three way.....sometimes I have a focussing rail for critical stuff.

Bob

Last year I decided to replace my Benbo Trekker, which was incredibly versatile but aging, and went to Focus on Imaging to take a look at what else was available. I discovered that the Gitzo 2530EX had the most versatility of any other tripod from any other manufacturer.

By the time I got round to buying one, it had been replaced by the 2531EX, which has just a couple of minor modifications. I haven't done any macro stuff with it yet, but I'm finding that it is at least the equal of the Trekker, and clearly much better made with much better materials. I'm very pleased with it. Each leg is fully adjustable independently and the centre column can be used in horizontal or vertical position (or anything in between).

The only thing I dont like about it is that the centre column has a rather rickety movement up and down, but once its tightened up its absolutely fine.

(The 2531EX is the 3-section version of the 2541EX)

As for the head, I use a Novoflex Magicball. This is also incredibly versatile, with a much wider range of movements than a normal B&S head. It is in fact an upside-down B&S head, with the ball fixed to the tripod and the camera fixed to the head. It is very easy to remove the camera from it , which means you don't need a quick release setup as well.

As far as I know the Magicball is only available from Speed Graphic, but why not try to get to Focus... this February so that you can try one out plus all the other tripods you might have on your shortlist?

Edit ..... I see from your description of your local wildlife you might not be in the UK........

Jerry: No, I'm in the north of Canada, the Yukon. So no easy access to a well-stocked camera store at the moment!

Back