Plaubel Makina 670 - Studio Shoot

Name
mikey massey
Edit My Images
No
Hi there,

I have a big shoot coming up in a few weeks and am wanting to shoot some medium format as well as digital using a strobe lighting/softbox set up.

I have never shot film in a studio set up and am struggling to find information on whether it's possible to hook up my Makina 670 to the profoto set up i'll be renting.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Hi MIke, welcome to TP!

According to Rockwell, there's a pc-sync terminal on the camera and you can go all the way to 1/500sec which is brill! I know my RB67 has an "x" switch on the lens to turn it to flash sync so look out for that on the Makina.

I have a simple connector of pc-sync to 3.5mm speaker male which then plugs into the el-cheapo chinese triggers I use to fire my strobes. It's not long enough to allow me to seat the trigger in the RB67s cold shoe, so if the sync socket is a distrance from the cold shoe get a cable that's a bit longer than the 2 inch one I got otherwise you're left with a dangling transmitter.

Example sync cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-DIGITAL-LS-PC635-STUDIO-FLASH/dp/B007KA3LQS

Which then plugs into a trigger like this one (this is a transmitter and receiver, but you can see the 3mm jack hole on the transmitter): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Wir...+trigger&qid=1569673929&s=electronics&sr=1-26

My suggestion would be to find out how you trigger the profoto strobes, and whether the transmitter has a 3mm jack, or whether you need a special sync cable to make them work. They may even provide a sync cable.

Also, this might get more visibility in the F&C section even though it's a lighting question.

Plaubel Makina 670 - that's a real blast from the past:)

It has a Compur shutter, standard 3.5mm sync socket, so all you need to do is to check with your lighting supplier that it comes with either a standard 3.5mm sync cable or a lead that allows a radio transmitter to be plugged into it.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the replies above mine, I was too quick off the mark. Both answer your question.

Last edited:
Back