Playing God

Edit My Images
No
Location: George Moore Building, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, Scotland.

This is a staircase at my university, I think it's a nice open, airy space, due to the large windows down one side. But, it has a dark side.

These stairs have seen three people take their own lives, thus me calling it Playing God. These people decided to take control of their own passing, by taking their own life and not leaving it for god to decide.

Sorry if this is a little chilling.

Playing_God_by_toxicdesign.jpg

Actually makes a lot of sense (if you look at it analytically), with the monochrome colour and repetative shape your perspective is skewed, making it harder to judge distance and therefore making it easier to jump off.

I wish they would bring back more terrazzo staircase like these...wonderful skill and last forever.

A really nice image I do like these staircase shots, always intriguing. Given the story behind hit a little darkening or vignette maybe ?

Many thanks for all the comments! Glad you all like it.

I will maybe try a darker images and see how it looks but I do have reason to keep it more 'as is'. As you can see it's a really bright space due to the windows running the height of it from ground level to the roof.

As it's so bright its quite a nice staircase to walk down and as you can see architecturally it sits really well with its shape. It feels really open and welcoming, perhaps making you feel comfortable about walking up instead of taking the lift.

Being so light is a true portrayal of how it is day to day, what the majority of people know it to be like. My idea is that the staircase has a dark side but it doesn't choose to have a dark side and many people are oblivious to the horrible fatalities that have sadly occured. I was in my fourth year by the time I actually found out about this so it seems to hide it from everyone.

Does that make sense? :-D ;-)

Wow, thats the first time I have had to look up what a word means - haha 'omnipotence' well done!

The idea is that god had a rest day and they chose to 'play' at god's role, which is extremely serious, which in turn ended in the loss of life. :-(

Good image, very abstract shot, really like this kind of staircase. As to echo above, shame about the story behind it.

Back