playing in my new 'studio'

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, i recently got myself a couple of sb600's to go with my 800, and some background material. These shots are my first attempt at white background type shots. My wife and stepdaughter are my ever willing models.
setup was 2 sb600's to blow out the background, sb800 through shoot through umbrella 45degs. camera left (close as i could get to subject) and white reflector to camera right.
Haven't done much PP with them just RAW conversion with slight exposure boost, and levels etc. I was in two minds about cloning the skin etc, wanted to keep it looking 'real' but maybe my wife wouldn't agree!
Thanks for looking, ben:)
DSC_4080.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_4128.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_4152.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_4184.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_4191.jpg
[/IMG]

(y)
looks like a good start to me ben..(y)

nice info on setup .. help's lots of people.

keep up the good work

md(y)

ps is the background you have there a sheet or paper:thinking:

These look pretty good to me. I don't have much experience of photographing people but I think studio lighting will be my next project.

Chris:)

thanks dave:)
I got some fabric bakdrops from here
they seem good enough quality and they were the cheapest i could find on the net.(y)

Quick question, how would you hang these backdrops? As I am pretty sure I can get a roll of white material and do it myself, its a question of hiding creases ;)

Quick question, how would you hang these backdrops? As I am pretty sure I can get a roll of white material and do it myself, its a question of hiding creases ;)
I got some spring clamps and clamp the backdrop to a curtain pole, you could build a support like this. The backdrop support systems that i've seen for sale are all a bit pricey but i was thinking of getting a couple of these lighting stands and rigging a pole to fit to them. I haven't found the creases to be a big problem when blowing out the background and with using a shallowish DOF.
hope this helps, ben:)

Looking good Ben (y) and the skin is fine, you may want to clone out a few of the blemishes but nothing more than that as it isn't really needed.

Thanks for sharing the links for the backdrops look very useful.

<--------1000 posts :D (yipee took a long time but finally made it)

I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to studio stuff, but these look pretty good to me.

Looking good Ben (y) and the skin is fine, you may want to clone out a few of the blemishes but nothing more than that as it isn't really needed.

Thanks for sharing the links for the backdrops look very useful.

<--------1000 posts (yipee took a long time but finally made it)
thanks, i may do some work with the clone brush before doing any prints. congratulations on reaching 1000!:)

Thanks for that Ben, what brilliant advice! :)
no problem:)

Looking at doing this myself so thanks for the more detailed positioning.
check out strobist for loads of lighting advice.(y)

I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to studio stuff, but these look pretty good to me.

They look pretty good and what lovely models :) - but I would like to have seen more prominent catchlights in the eyes especially number 2 but that's jmo. Very good pics for your first attempt :clap:
thanks for the advice, i guess i should have had the umbrella a touch lower to get the catchlights more prominent?:shrug: might try a bit more PP work to 'enhance' them(y)

Lovely work Ben, really like them :)

I`m half way between choosing studio lights or using speedlites for a portable portrait setup and cannot decide. Obviously just using speedlights will make things much more portable. I was thinking of getting a couple of cheaper flashguns to go with my 580ex II and perhaps a brolley and an ezybox or something. Having seen the results you have shown here i`m more inclined to go down the speedlite route i think.

Keep up the good work:)

PS. I`d be interested to know how far away your subjects are from the backdrop?

Some good work there Ben. I have a couple of flashguns so am thinking about trying something like this myself.

Rather handy that you have such willing (and pretty) models, makes the practice so much easier.

Keep it up !

Steve

Nice & soft lighting to the face, just needs more of a catchlight (as Lady P) says to lift & enliven the eyes

A couple of them (2 & 3) have stray harsh light on the faces, this is possibly spill from your flashguns - best control is to have the subject well in front of the lights lighting the background

Good effort

(y)

DD

Back